Cycling 50g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raignis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a 50 gallon that has a hang on back with filter media from my 29 gallon and has been running for two days. Would it be safe to put a gourami or angel fish from my 29 gallon in there to help get the water cycled quicker? I plan on getting plants next weekend. I'm wanting to get the two fish separated as quick as I can because the angelfish keeps getting aggressive with the gourami from egg-laying.

You should be ok moving one or the other.
Even if the cycle takes a while one fish in 50g should not go bad fast.
Test every other day if you are concerned and feed lightly.
I have moved many fish with seeded material to new tanks without issue.
Water changes never hurt...

So I put the angelfish in and she seems to be doing okay. I turned the light on for a few minutes just to get a picture of her but I've been leaving it off to reduce stress. I tested the water and I can't remember the numbers at the moment but everything looked okay. [emoji106] 20180624_210908.jpg

Hello Rai...

I did the same thing a few weeks ago when I set up a 75 gallon tank for some Goldfish. I just squeezed the contents of the filter media from an established tank into the water in the 75. Instant cycling of the tank! I added a few of the Goldfish and just tested the water every couple of days to make sure the bacteria I transferred was working. No problems. The fish have been in the tank for well over a week and they're fine. Just make sure you add fish slowly and test the tank water.

B

So it's been a week and everything is looking good so far. I got the stone and plants in and the angelfish is getting used to it. Ammonia and nitrites are zero. Nitrate is 10-20 ppm.

Back
Top Bottom