cycling a cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnyb1425

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 15 gal. tank I am going to set up for 4-6 cichlids (probably dwarf species or shell dwellers). Should I use tetras or some other cheaper fish (possibly a couple of tetras) to take the tank through its nitrogen cycle prior to adding the cichlids? My fear is adding the cichlids to a new tank and possibly losing them. Any help on establishing my tank would be helpful!

I've never done a fishless cycle so I can't help you out with that, but I have a 55 gal cichlid tank that I cycled with Guppies. After about a month I took the guppies back to the lfs and traded them in and got my cichlid's.

I use goldfish to help cycle my tank. You can get a couple dozen at your lfs for pretty cheap.

I go fishless. Totally "set it and forget it" method and you won't be posting here about the sick fish you have that are trying to suffer through a cycle. Add a prescribed amount of household ammonia daily for about a month and one day you are cycled. Hard to look at an empty tank but its better than slowing the cycle with water changes to protect the fish. Just my opinion - everyone has their own way of doing it :D

Back
Top Bottom