Cycling a new 20 Gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chipie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,
I just bought my very first fish tank. It is a 20 Gallon tank with bio mecanical filter(activated carbon). I have a heather and an air pump with 2 bubble stones for aeration.

I still haven't bought any fish yet. The tank has been set up for a week now. I used Aqua + for the chlorine and chloramine. I also put in the stuff called Cycle.

Today i tested my water and i have no ammonia and no nitrate. Only some Nitrate (6).

Am i doing something wrong ?
How about adding some ammonia ? How much should i use for a 20 gallon tank ?

I find a lot of places where cycling is discussed but never do i see a clear explanation about how to go about doing this. Can you help ?
Thanks

Chipie

You started off really good. The only thing you did wrong was you didn't add an ammonia source (ie: fish, ammonia...).

Check out the fishless cycling articles if you'd like to procede that way (it is safer for fish because you don't use any!). I think they say to put in enough to get your ammonia level up to 6 or so. The articles should clarify that.

Here are some sites that explain the nitrogen cycle:
nitrogen cycle
click
again

fishless cycling:
clicky
fishless

The nitrate is probably from your tapwater because you don't have an ammonia source to feed bacteria.

Welcome to AA!! :) :)

Welcome to AA. In addition to what JustOneMore20 said, Cycle will not do anything to speed up your cycle. It contains no live bacteria. I would get some pure ammonia and dose the tank with that.

Need some more help

Hi and thanks a lot for the informations and encouragements. I never knew that having a fish tank was so complicated. At least doing it the right way is. But having said that, i enjoy the challenge. :wink:

I have a read a lot of stuff and now understand the cycle that the tank has to go through. I just wish that the local pet shop owners would explain it better to newbies.

I have added pure ammonia to my tank to get the level to 0.5ppm.
But now my PH is at 8.2
My tap water's PH is at 7.

Should i do a partial water change and add more ammonia or leave it as it is.
Will a higher ph slow down the cycle and would a partial water change slow it down also ? :?

Any ideas?
Thanks again

The pH should not slow down the cycle. Ammonia is basic, so it will raise your pH some. I would leave it alone and then check it after the tank is cycled and you have done a water change. Even then, you shouldn't mess with it. It should be around your tap pH after the tank is cycled (and you aren't adding ammonia).

A partial water change shouldn't slow down the cycle, but you shouldn't need to do a water change with no fish in the tank. :)

You may need to add more ammonia to get it around 3-4ppm. Then add the same amount every day or so i think (i'm not up on fishless cycling)...I wouldn't do any water changes.

Thanks for the help. It is really appreciated. You've got a new friend. :wink:

Andrée R
N-B, Canada

Hi Chipie JOM20 is right - get the ammonia to 3-4 ppm. When it starts to go down (should take about a week or so) add more to get it back up to that level. Eventually you'll eat through 3-4ppm in 24 hrs. At that point add enough ammonia to get it to 1-2ppm every day. When your nitrites spike through the roof you can do a 50% water change to help things go a bit faster, but you'll also be reducing the number of fish you can add immediately after the cycle is completed (both ammonia and nitrites at 0), so the choice is yours. The second part of the cycle (conversion of nitrites to nitrates) takes alot longer than the first part so don't be discouraged if your nitrites stay high for what seems like forever.
Enjoy the hobby - its alot of fun.

I did a fish cycle, please keep us up-to-date on your fishless cycle, very interesting and I will do this in the future.

Good luck!!!

Fishless cycle

Ok, i'll keep you posted on the results. Thanks again for the help.
Andrée R :D

Re: Need some more help

Chipie said:
Hi and thanks a lot for the informations and encouragements. I never knew that having a fish tank was so complicated. At least doing it the right way is. But having said that, i enjoy the challenge. :wink:

I have a read a lot of stuff and now understand the cycle that the tank has to go through. I just wish that the local pet shop owners would explain it better to newbies.

I have added pure ammonia to my tank to get the level to 0.5ppm.
But now my PH is at 8.2
My tap water's PH is at 7.

Should i do a partial water change and add more ammonia or leave it as it is.
Will a higher ph slow down the cycle and would a partial water change slow it down also ? :?

Any ideas?
Thanks again

As long as your pH stays under 8.5-9.0 I wouldn't mess with it. If, however, you see it go above 9 I would do a PWC to lower it back down. You could also try to find a safe acid source to lower the pH. Muriatic acid (aka hydrochloric acid) can normally be found locally and is "pure" acid. This will safely lower the pH in the tank.

Please note we DO NOT recommend messing with the pH of a tank once fish/plants/inverts have been introduced into the tank. I just want others to realize that there are a LOT of small tricks that can speed up a fishless cycle.

Back
Top Bottom