cycling a new 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure how the hardness plays a factor in pH but I know that it does. How would you like to be in this situation:

My brother just bought a fish tank from me and we set it up last week. We didn't think about where the water was coming from until today I tested the water and the pH is off the charts. It's greater than 8.8. There is a limestone quarry in our woods and the house and lake was built ontop of a huge limestone bed. They are using well water which of course is coming from inside and below the limestone bed. There is NO way to lower this pH. We tried chemicals (not with fish in the tank), drift wood, pH stabelizer, nothing works. It just keeps getting higher and higher. To top it off, they have a water softener. Sometimes it sucks to live in the country. :)

well, i tried to do a rescue mission and get 4 fish from my brother, but he got all upset, even though his 15 gallon is down 1/3 from evaporation, the water filter doesnt work, and hasnt been cleaned in a while... he says he was going to clean it. its so sad!! but oh well, any thought5s on my pH situation?

sorry i must have posted at the same time as you... thats not fun, sounds like you'll have to import some water, lol

Well, with water that has so much alkalinity (aka KH or carbonate hardness), if using peat moss in a canister filter, driftwood, and live plants aren't working or an option, I guess the only choice left would be to use distilled water or reverse osmosis water. Use the distilled/RO water for 10 - 20% water changes a couple of times. If you successfully dilute down the buffers in your tank, the alkalinity and pH would likely decrease. Then by trial and error you can come up with a formula for mixing your tap water with distilled/RO to keep things where you want it (can't use distilled/RO only forever, the tank needs some minerals and micronutrients). Lot of work, about as much work as running a SW tank!

welll, our house also has a RO filter for drinking water, but it feeds off the soft water i beleive... is it usable? do you think it would do the trick? also would it be ok to put my live plant in their? since you say that could help?

im really eager to get my fish in their new home!! but this is holding me up for about 4 days now.

thetmaxx said:
welll, our house also has a RO filter for drinking water, but it feeds off the soft water i beleive... is it usable? do you think it would do the trick? also would it be ok to put my live plant in their? since you say that could help?
I would use the RO water. I don't think one live plant would make that much difference. A heavily planted tank might. Remember, I am a plastic plant only guy, so I can't help much with planted tanks.

Back
Top Bottom