Cycling a new Eclipse 12 - can this be done faster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bghouse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an existing Eclipse 6gal tank and am starting a new Eclipse 12. I don't want to use the gravel from my existing tank - because it is truly ugly. And the biowheels are different sizes. I need to leave the 6gal running through the cycle of the new 12gal tank - so that my Gourami, shrimp and pleco don't have to suffer through cycling their new home.

Is there a way to maybe use a bit of the gravel, in a cup or something, to help start things and then somehow remove it? Any other suggestions?

Put some of the gravel, as much as you can, into a piece of pantyhose and put that in the tank. Also, take the filter cartridge out of the 6gal and cut off the floss material, cutting around the edges to get as much as you can. (You can re-use the plastic frame by rubber banding some filter floss around it and put it back in the 6gal - discard the charcoal). Then rubber band the cruddy 6gal filter floss to the new filter cartridge in the 12gal. Float the 6gal biowheel in the 12gal, just toss it in the water. All of these measures will help cycle the tank. Then add ammonia according to standard fishless cycling directions, and when it is done you can move your fish over.

I have done this many times and the thing that really gets the cycle moving is the dirty filter floss. For me that seems to be the most helpful, but using the other things won't hurt, and the cycled 6gal won't suffer without them.

Wouldn't it make it even faster or more effective (if only a little) to put old/mature material that is full of bacteria IN the filter, where the flow is highest? Just a general question I guess.

That is what I meant by putting the cruddy filter media on the filter cartridge of the new filter - these Eclipse tanks don't have a very large chamber for media, you are stuck with a flat tray-like cartridge. You just rubber band the old media onto the new cartridge and the bacteria will be in the flow of the water. So to answer your question, yes! :D

I've finally started getting the tank cycled, I'm on day three.

I've added some gravel in the panty hose, and I put the filter media on as Tank Girl suggested.

My question is, however, what happens when I remove the gravel? If I go through a cycling of my tank, and then remove the gravel - won't I cycle again?

When your tank finishes the cycle, you will have a bio colony in the gravel in the bottom of your tank as well as the filter and bio wheel. You will not need the sock anymore. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom