Cycling a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Easiest is to use some established media from another tank, the new tank is basically immediately cycled using that method.

The next would be to seed the tank by adding a bunch of crud/mulm from an established filter, ask another hobbyist or local fish store for some filter crud and dump it into your tank/filter.

The next easiest is to use pure ammonia (no additives) and dose the tank up to 4ppm. From here you wait, keeping ammonia at 4ppm until you see some nitrites, then drop the ammonia to 2ppm while you wait out the nitrite spike. Keep the temperature in the low-mid 80 degrees and a stable pH for the fastest cycle. Using bacteria in a bottle can also speed up the process.

How much and what “media” should I use? I have two 10 gallon tanks that are currently in use.

How much and what “media” should I use? I have two 10 gallon tanks that are currently in use.

Depends on the type of filter, but 'media' just refers to the medium we use inside the filter to act as surface area for bacteria to grow on.

These include sponges, bioballs, 'lava rock' style inert material, ceramic balls / cubes etc etc. Basically anything inert that is very porous.

Assuming the 10 gallons are run with hang on back filters?? Usually I have a fine sponge followed by a course sponge and come ceramic / lava rock media.

Can u give a few other options just in case I can’t find one

Any plain ammonia source. The Ace Hardware one is the most recommended, but any pure ammonia with no other additives will work. I never fishless cycle tanks with ammonia so I'm not positive on sources other than the Ace Hardware one.

Easiest thing is to order a seeded filter from AngelsPlus.com. I do that every time I move (long-distance military moves) and they work like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom