cycling algae...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubble bobble

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am fishlessly cycling my tank with ammonia. I just got my first nitrite readings today, its been cycling for a little over a week. I pu some plants in, and I now have spots of brown algae on the glass, probably came with some of the plants. It's mostly collecting where the water flows out of the filter, goes across the tank and hits the glass.

what should I do? is there something burly enough that wont mind the tank conditions? (since I put the plants in, the ammonia seems to vanish overnight (from about 1-2) and the nitrites are at .25 - .5. I did a nitrate test, it turned out to be around 5, but I think I messed it up. (all these measurements say mg\L on the strips)

would it be ok to put some snails in to keep a handle on the algae? or would it be too rough for them?

I would finish cycling without adding any live animals to the tank. I would also get a different test kit besides strips as these are not known for accuracy. If you are starting to see nitrite readings and your ammo readings are dropping, you are heading in the right direction and soon your cycle should be complete. Then you can start slowly adding fish, snails, etc.

what you are seeing is diatoms. they are caused by silicates, as your tank ages they will go away. could take up to four months. depending on your stocking list i would add a few otto's and they will make quick work of it over night. but wait until you are done cycling. also snails are real sensitive to water parameters

The brown "algae" you are seeing are actually diatoms and will wipe up very easily. All new tanks get it.
Otos are known to eat the stuff but they're a bit sensitive and don't survive well in a new tank. If it were my tank (and it was - we all get diatoms) I'd just wipe them away rather than adding otos to eliminate them.

Back
Top Bottom