cycling and ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, I am probably overthinking this whole thing but here is my question. I am doing a fish IN cycle on my 20 gallon and 5 gallon. I am using the API master test kit and testing my water daily for ammonia and Nitrites. so far I am at a nice steady "nothing is happening" stage. my ammonia on my 20 gallon is holding at a nice steady .5 with 0 Nitirites. I am doing daily water changes on the tanks. When I had started this all out at the beginning I was told to test my tap water for ammonia. my tap PH was 7.4 and ammonia .5. I just retested from water sitting overnight (again) and the ammonia is testing between .5 -.7 from the tap. I know that once my BB get established the ammonia will read 0. when the tank was first starting I was getting a 0 reading for ammonia but now it is consitently at .5.

so here is my question. if I test the tank and it is at .5 do I need to do a water change? the water I am putting in is already at .5 so there is no benefit from doing a PWC right? my thoughts are now that I only need to do a PWC if my ammonia is over .5. does this make good logic sense?

I know later I will be doing PWC to get the nitrAtes down, but right now I am not even bothering to look at those and just focusing on the ammonia and nitrites as the nitrates will not show up until those start to cycle. am I missing something here or does my logic make sense.

thanks so much for all of your help!:thanks:

I would say it depends on what water conditioner you are using. Hopefully, its Prime (or similar that helps detox amm/nitrite) dosed to the size of your tanks. If its not, i would switch to something that does help bind amm/nitrite. That said, these products only work for @24-36hrs. I have read that they may last as long as 48hrs but i would err on the side of caution. So, if your tank is reading .5 (as your tap water does), i would still change the water daily to make sure there is adequate conditioner working to bind ammonia/nitrite while your tank cycles. This will keep your fish safe & still allow the amm/nitrite to be available for your bacteria to utilize. Good question, by the way! :)

I would say it depends on what water conditioner you are using. Hopefully, its Prime (or similar that helps detox amm/nitrite) dosed to the size of your tanks. If its not, i would switch to something that does help bind amm/nitrite. That said, these products only work for @24-36hrs. I have read that they may last as long as 48hrs but i would err on the side of caution. So, if your tank is reading .5 (as your tap water does), i would still change the water daily to make sure there is adequate conditioner working to bind ammonia/nitrite while your tank cycles. This will keep your fish safe & still allow the amm/nitrite to be available for your bacteria to utilize. Good question, by the way! :)
right now I am using API Stress Coat. I have an order in for Prime but thought I would use up what I have first. It doesn't say anything about neutralizing ammonia or nitrites. that being said, do you still think I need to be doing daily PWCs?

right now I am using API Stress Coat. I have an order in for Prime but thought I would use up what I have first. It doesn't say anything about neutralizing ammonia or nitrites. that being said, do you still think I need to be doing daily PWCs?

I dont have personal experience with API stress coat but their website says it helps reduce ammonia levels (nitrite is not mentioned). So, it functions in a manner similar to prime/other ammonia detox products by binding free ammonia & converting it to ammonium. I would imagine the length of time its actively working for is in a similar range as well. At the very least, i would be doing water changes every other day with every day day being prefered. You may want to consider switching to Prime right now & finishing using the API product once your tank is fully cycled but this is just a suggestion. If you start seeing detectable nitrites while using the API product, you will really need to stay on top of your water changes as well. Hope this helps & dont hesitate to ask questions! :)

Back
Top Bottom