Cycling and Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliverosuna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to start the "cycling" process on my new tank, but the only ammonia I can find is yellowish loking, lemon-scented brand. Will this type be okay for the process?

I wouldn't risk it. You want something with only ammonia and water. I recently started up an aquarium myself and I was wondering the same thing before I decided on trying Bio-Spira instead. Here's a thread I found from another forum:

http://www.fishforums.net/lofiversion/index.php/t38840.html

Someone in the thread said that he pees in his tank to provide ammonia. Never heard of that one. o_0

No, only use Pure Ammonia. If you shake the bottle and it fizzes, it is not suitable to be used. Try a hardware store like Ace.

Ace hardware sells thier own brand of "industrial strenght cleaner" wich is a 10% ammonia solution without additives.

Make sure it doesn't also have surfactants (soap) in it! If you shake the Ammonia with Surfactants it WILL NOT FIZZ either! This seems to be what is commonly sold in discount stores and in no name brands.

I put the ammonia in already, so let's hope it was the right one.

Hate to say it, but I think you need to drain, clean, and start over. If it is yellow and lemon scented, you will have problems.

I'm doing a cycle using a shrimp and have a question about it. How long do I leave it in the tank after I start seeing ammonia and nirites?

Leave the shrimp in until your cycle is complete. 0 ammonia 0 nitrite. Take it out when you are ready to do the massive water change and stock your tank.

I also have a few questions about the shrimp method...

1.) So you just go to the grocery store, back to the seafood section and pick up a single raw shrimp? Then just go home and throw it in the tank?
2.) I've searched on this, and keep finding posts where someone recommends putting the shrimp in a "filter bag"... I understand the concept, but what are people using for filter bags?
3.) Then once it is in there, do I just sit back and test the water daily and wait for it to complete, or do I need to do PWC's during this time at all?
4.) Once the cycle is complete, do I just take the shrimp out and add fish? Or do I need to do a PWC before adding fish?

TIA for your help!

1. Yep.
2. Here's some examples.
3. Test water daily and no water changes unless either the ammonia and nitrites get so high that the cycle starts to stall out.
4. Take out shrimp, do a large water change to get nitrates under 20ppm if possible (under 40ppm is okay), add fish.

1. Yes
2. Put it in a clean piece of stockings.
3. Just test the water no need to do PWC.
4. When the cycle is complete, remove bag with shrimp, change 80% of the water and go get fish. Do not go more than 48 hours between removing shrimp and adding fish.

So I'm in the middle of a cycling my tank using a shrimp rather than pure ammonia. I' ve been doing tests of the water and that's what leads to my next question. My ammonia reading appears to be 0ppm while my nitrite levels is at about 2.0ppm. Is this progress okay? Do I need to add a new shrimp to ensure that there is ammonia for the bacteria in my tank to feed on?

Back
Top Bottom