Cycling and setting up Axolotl tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mccl0e

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just refilled my 20 gallon and I really want to get 2 axolotls. My LFS has some in stock regularly and can order them at any time.
So I chose a good sand substrate, and planted a bunch of live plants.
- 3 separate, medium sized bunches of Anubis Nana
- 4 small patches of dwarf hair grass
- a couple patches of S Repens
- 4 pieces of wisteria

I have been researching a lot and can’t really find anything about initial startup and when to add the creatures. I want to do this right and I know the tank needs to cycle.

I plan on scaping the tank more while it cycles. I know they need places to hide and I plan on creating a cave once I find suitable rocks. I will also be moving the plants to accommodate that as well (I just wanted to get them started). I just filled the tank today so it is still clearing up but I will post a picture too!

Any tips will be greatly appreciated, I am learning so much. IMG_0678.jpg

I’d remove the heater. They are comfortable in the mid 60s F. Anything over 74 F will lead to issues.

The heater isn’t on I just put it there while setting up the tank to get it out of my way

I'd pull the anubias partly out of the substrate so that their rhizomes don't rot. Also unless you are adding some source of ammonia to the tank it won't cycle.

And check the water before you add the Axolotl

Back
Top Bottom