Cycling and stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am going to move what I can from the 20g to the 55g today to help get the party started. The ammonia in the 55g spiked to 1ppm today so I'm going to do a pretty good sized water change and then move the 20g filters over. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

I think your theory has already been proven since the readings from the 20g always have more nitrites than nitrates. They'll knock down 4ppm of ammonia in around 9-10 hours but there is always a high level of nitrites left in the tank.

I decided to take a slightly different route. Shortly after my last post the 20g tank cycled. Instead of moving the filter media into the 55g, I purchased new filter media that I hoped to seed. Today would have been the day for the seeded media to be placed into the 55g but as it turned out the tank cycled on it's own. I checked the water earlier and it's at 0 ammo, 0 nitrites, and 10ppm nitrates.

As for stocking, I'm definitely going to put the glofish and tetras into the 20g. From what I've read the glofish may become the angelfish's lunch once he grows large enough. I'd like to get 3 more angelfish and 3-4 peppered corys. So basically I'd end up with 4 angels, 8 or 9 corys, 3 dgs, and a pleco.

I'm assuming I could put a few more fish in the tank before it's fully stocked but I could be wrong here. If I can put some more fish in the tank, does anyone have any recommendations for good tank mates? Barbs are listed as angelfish compatible but aren't they known for fin nipping? What about a school of giant danios?

Tiger Barbs have the reputaion for nippyness, the ones I have certainly were when it came to angelfish (long story, not my idea :D) but there are other barbs that are much less so from what I have read on here but someone with experience of them should probably advise on that. I also have Giant Danios, fun fish, they spend all day charging round the tank but I'm not sure how an angel would tolerate all that movement or if would just get annoyed and I don't keep angels so my experience of them is pretty much nil.

I decided to take a slightly different route. Shortly after my last post the 20g tank cycled. Instead of moving the filter media into the 55g, I purchased new filter media that I hoped to seed. Today would have been the day for the seeded media to be placed into the 55g but as it turned out the tank cycled on it's own. I checked the water earlier and it's at 0 ammo, 0 nitrites, and 10ppm nitrates.

As for stocking, I'm definitely going to put the glofish and tetras into the 20g. From what I've read the glofish may become the angelfish's lunch once he grows large enough. I'd like to get 3 more angelfish and 3-4 peppered corys. So basically I'd end up with 4 angels, 8 or 9 corys, 3 dgs, and a pleco.

I'm assuming I could put a few more fish in the tank before it's fully stocked but I could be wrong here. If I can put some more fish in the tank, does anyone have any recommendations for good tank mates? Barbs are listed as angelfish compatible but aren't they known for fin nipping? What about a school of giant danios?

Did you put any media from the cycled 20 into the new 55? If not then I'm not sure how the 55 gal cycled "on its own"; as far as I know tanks don't do that (although I wish they would!). Sorry if I'm just misreading. Have you tested your tap water to make sure the nitrates aren't coming from there? I'd at least check the cycle on the 55 with doses of pure ammonia to double-check before putting fish in there.

I'm not an expert on stocking by any means; I just want to clarify though: what are you moving into the 55 and keeping in the 20? If you're moving the glofish and danios into the 55 and keeping all those angels in a 20.....not sure if that's OK; Angels can grow rather large and keeping more than 1 or maybe 2 in a 20 could be pushing it. Sorry if I'm not understanding correctly though.

Did you put any media from the cycled 20 into the new 55? If not then I'm not sure how the 55 gal cycled "on its own"; as far as I know tanks don't do that (although I wish they would!). Sorry if I'm just misreading. Have you tested your tap water to make sure the nitrates aren't coming from there? I'd at least check the cycle on the 55 with doses of pure ammonia to double-check before putting fish in there.

I'm not an expert on stocking by any means; I just want to clarify though: what are you moving into the 55 and keeping in the 20? If you're moving the glofish and danios into the 55 and keeping all those angels in a 20.....not sure if that's OK; Angels can grow rather large and keeping more than 1 or maybe 2 in a 20 could be pushing it. Sorry if I'm not understanding correctly though.

All of the fish were in the 55g which wasn't cycled. I was stuck doing a fish in cycle on it because I pulled the classic newbie mistake of stocking right away. I had a 20g which was going through a fishless cycle. It was suggested to use the filter media from the 20g to help speed the cycle of the 55g.

Both of the tanks are cycled now so Id like to stock the 20 with fish from the 55 and then put some new fish in the 55 which is why Im asking for suggestions.

Ok sorry, thanks for the clarification. :D

What is your filtration on the 55?

With 4 angels, 9 corys, 3 dgs and a pleco (what kind) I'm thinking you might be fully stocked (or even overstocked). It might depend on your filtration and what else you want to put in there.

I have an aquaclear 70. The pleco is a common one. I'd like to put another schooling fish in there that the angels won't eat. So perhaps, I'd do the following in the 55:

2 angels,
8 corys,
3 dgs,
1 common pleco,
6 giant danios or 6 of something that won't fit in an angelfish's mouth

The 20g would end up with:

5 glofish,
5 tetra's,
Perhaps a smaller pleco like a bristlenose, otos, or something as a clean up crew

From what I understand I could probably move one dg to the 20 as well which would free up more room in the 55.

Back
Top Bottom