Cycling aquariums with snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Aquarium Advice Addict
I apologize if this subject has been brought up somewhere else, I did a search but I didn't find anything on it. For my last aquarium I set up, a 20 gallon, I used a snail to cycle it. He ate a piece of baby spinach everyday. He's still doing fine. What are your thoughts on this method?

i'd think that would take quite a bit longer wouldnt it? cause they dont really make that much waste, at least mine doesnt, whereas if you just thro in a dead shrimp, thats a pretty good jump starter...

I would also think that, if a day or two before you got your tank, you could put a dead shrimp in a glass of water to get it started making nasty gunk, that you could add that once your tank is done being set up and have it start the cycle a little quicker? granted it would only be a few days i suppose but hey...
anyone else have any thoughts on that one?

I would tend to disagree, snails have a lot of food passing through their system at all times. If you don't feed them they don't eat, if you do feed them they'll continue eating until it's gone.

But a snail is still a relatively simple organism with simple biological functions - a single snail is highly unlikely to provide enough ammonia to grow a large enough colony of good bacteria and cycle the tank...

Ah well, I thought it was worth a shot. The tank ended up cycling anyway but I guess the gravel and plants I brought from my other tank and the shrimp pellets he passed over in favor of lettuce contributed more to that.

I actually never heard of the dead shrimp method before I came here. I always just fed the tank with some sinking fish food. This is by far the most useful Aquarium site/forum I've come across.

Back
Top Bottom