Cycling Dilemma---fish-less or silent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hwardale

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I am looking for some advice regarding cycling. I have a 15ga column aquarium that is ready for planting. I would like a recommendation on which cycling method I should use...
I've read a lot of conflicting information about fish-less cycling with live plants. Some say go ahead, but realize that the cycle will take longer because the plants compete for the ammonia. Others say, ammonia cycling in a planted tank is a no-no and why bother when you can do silent?
I'm inclined to go the silent route, but if I follow the recommendation and densely plant my tank (which has all of a 13"x13" footprint), I'm eventually going to want to thin it out a bit. What is the consequence of that and at what point is it safe to do so? Is the process of modifying my plants something I should do slowly, to allow the biological filter to adjust? I don't plan to overstock with fish. I only plan to have 10-12 in the 1" variety. Is my concern unwarranted? Thanks in advance!

:thanks:

I don't think it really matters when you plant it or how heavy. I've always, always been told that planting it right away is great, no problem.

You dose your ammo up so high, to 3-4ppm, that the plants aren't much of a competition to the bacteria. When you think about the fact that a fish in cycle is usually not allowed to get above .50 and still manage fine.

I've never heard of the cycle being bad for plants either. Personally I'd plant it how you want it to be long term. Don't fully plant it if you don't really want a fully planted tank.

What type of fish are you planning to keep in the tank? Size isn't the sole concern. A column tank is an odd shape without a lot of horizontal swimming space, which is what most fish do best with. You can't stock a 15 gallon column the same way you would stock a 15 gal regular tank. Just something to think about.

Guppies would be a perfect match though. They are good with all levels of swimming and come in so many colors.

I don't know much about silent cycling but it doesn't seem very common. I've only heard a few stories of people that have had them happen. As I said I don't know a lot so really can't say one way or the other, I just do not that I wouldn't be concerned with the planted tank through a cycle. Honestly the biggest pain is controlling algae in the beginning because those conditions are great for algae growth and there is that period of battle until things level out and plants take lead.

Back
Top Bottom