Cycling- faulty test kit? PH problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
tl,dr version - I think I've been adding too much ammonia to my fishless cycle because of a faulty test kit.

I've been doing a fishless cycle on my new tank for almost three weeks. Things have been going pretty well (I thought) - adding ammonia, it reduces gradually, nitrites started showing up, then nitrates.

Then I had a problem -- my ammonia test kit ran out and there seems to be some problem with the suppliers as all the petshops in my area were out of stock. So for a few days, I could not test.

I found a test kit, (different brand) and tested again. I also got a PH test kit (which I'd not had up to now). But the levels of ammonia I get with the new test kit seems to suggest that the previous kit was old/faulty so I'm a little lost now, not knowing if I can count on those results.

My numbers were like this:
(I don't have a proper test kit for nitrates, am using one of those dip strips since that is all I have access to, a "Tetra 5-in-one" test. Which is why I'm not giving numbers for the nitrates)

Tank size: 24 gallon

I added 2 tsp ammonia

test using old Nutrafin ammonia kit:
ammonia 0.6 (this seemed low to me, but from the previous time I did a cycle with another tank, the amount of ammonia worked so I did not add more)

Day 3 - ammonia level started going down a little: 0.3

Day 5 - ammonia 0.3, nitrites 0.1

Day 7- ammonia 0.3, nitrites 0.3 (added 2 tsp ammonia)

Day 8- ammonia 1.2 nitrites 0.8

Day 10- ammonia 0.6 nitrite 1.00
(guessing nitrite reading, the colour seemed between 0.8 and 1.6 colours on the chart)

Day 13- ammonia 0.2 nitrite 3.3 some nitrates
Added 2 tsp ammonia

Nutrafin Ammonia test kit used up

Started with Tetra Ammonia testkit
Day 18 - ammonia 0 nitrite 3.3 high level of nitrates

Did a 50% water change as I think the nitrites are higer than 3.3, that is the top of my colour chart.

Added 2 tsp ammonia and tested again immediately - got ammonia 5.0, nitrate 3.3

So the old kit showed me 0.6 for 2 tsp ammonia, and new kit showed 5.0
Tested the water with my new PH test kit - PH reading 8.0

Tested tap water after dechlorinating - PH [[6.8]] Edited I made a mistake - this value should be 8

So looking at this - I think my old ammonia test kit was showing me the wrong numbers, resulting in maybe higher nitrite levels than I should have to get the second stage of the cycle going?

Is that high PH in my tapwater a problem?

Possible red herring: I think the gravel may have some bits of shell in it. It's mostly little round pebbles, but here and there I see some rounded white things that look like shell shards to me. I really don't want to remove it as that will be a pain but I know - I'll have to do it if I have to.

Any help and advice much appreciated :(

Sorry - I should have mentioned. The kit I use for testing nitrites is brand new (it's a nutrafin kit) so I'm pretty sure the nitrite levels tested are accurate.

Your PH is fine for cycling, 8 isn't absurdly high, I wouldn't worry about it.

Is the new test kit strips? If so they aren't the most accurate. Can you get the API liquid kit? No need to do a water change for high nitrites unless they are off-chart high for more than a week. Here's a calculator for how much ammonia to add (scroll to the bottom): Calculator

Thanks for the reassurance on ph, librarygirl.

No, I'm using liquid test kits for ammonia, nitrite, and ph. I used a strip for nitrates as I dont have another way to test for that. Seems pretty inaccurate, but I'm hoping I can rely on it indicating there are nitrates present, even if I cant tell how much.

I would not worry too much if you can't get a liquid nitrate test. If API products are not available in Capetown, I'm sure some other brand must be, maybe not a master kit, but you should be able to get the basics. Ammonia, nitrite, pH.. nitrate would be nice of course. Also useful is KH and GH, often combined in one test kit.

But so long as the strips indicate nitrates, water changes are the way to reduce them, if they seem to be getting too high. Strip are not as accurate but they are not useless. I use them as quick indicator when I'm in a hurry, and if I see anything the least out of the ordinary, I retest with the liquid kits.

Many people don't test routinely for nitrate if they do regular water changes.. because the changes keep the nitrates controlled. Plants also use up nitrate, so if you add plants, that helps with nitrate and also generally assists the cycle, as plants have their own bacteria.

And even if the numbers are not what you expected,if they are consistent, and you are seeing ammonia, niitrite and nitrate, you are getting close to the end of the cycle. You mainly have to wait 'til the nitrite and ammonia reach zero after you add ammonia, and nitrates that remain are not too high. Anything up to 50 ppm is considered safe, but most of us try to stay at 20 or lower.

Edit. btw, if there are some bits of shell, I would not be too concerned, unless you ultimately plan to keep fish that require soft, acidic water. Otherwise, I don't think a few bits of shell will have too much detrimental effect on calcium levels in the water.

You can get the API freshwater master test kit on amazon for around $20 (35-40 in stores!!)

Thanks!
I tested this morning - ammonia 0.25 (yay!), nitrite 3.3. nitrates seem high. The nitrite test went deep pink (highest colour on the chart) instantly so I think the nitrite levels are very high.
It's been 3.3 for a week now so I'm going to do another water change, then add more amonia. Hope that's the right thing to do.

I've personally never cycled a tank with ammonia before. I've cycled a few tanks and personally adding beneficial bacterial has worked best for me. it has directions on the box of how much you need to put in and everything. and the API master kit is the best. it's 90-100% accurate whereas the strips are (what I think the guy at my fish warehouse said) 40%. so look into getting your hands on that

I've got liquid tests for ammonia, nitrite and PH so I don't think I'm going to try to get an API test at this point. Our exchange rate is about 1 to 10 , so anything that costs $20 costs me R200 :(

Also I don't think the kit is even available in our shops, and if I buy from Amazon, I have to pay shipping which is often several times the cost of the item :( :(

But -- I think I'm fine with the test kits I've got so that doesn't really matter.

I added some stuff from my old tank's filter, which seems to have helped but it's not produced the instant cycle I was hoping for.

Sorry - reading through my original post, I can see it looks as though I'm using strips to test for everything. What I meant was that I'm using liquid tests for everything except for the nitrates - I'm using strips for those.

Seeing as I've had top-of-the-charts deep pink nitrite readings for more than a week, even after doing a 50% water change, I did a 60% water change and...

nitrite still 3.3

But I think it might actually be 3.3 now, as the test took a while to go pink, instead of going instantly pink like before.

I'm not sure if I should add more ammonia now. The ammonia reading before doing the water change was 0.25 so it must be very low now.

I'm just going to keep adding posts here--
Today, ammonia test = 0 and nitrites still the same - 3.3

Am going to do another water change, then add a little bit of ammonia.
(I forgot my heater off since yesterday :blink: so things were maybe a bit slower than they might have been)

Hope I'm doing the right thing here.
--------
Edited to add:
Did a 70% water change, and nitrates are now at 0.3 Added 1tsp ammonia.

This morning - ammo 0, nitrite 0, some nitrates. I think my tank might be cycled. Added some more ammo, will see what tomorrow brings. :)

Back
Top Bottom