Cycling getting to the end already?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys. This is my first tank and was given fish before i knew about the nitrogen cycle so i unfortunately have been doing a fish-in cycle. Fortunately, i am extremely obsessive about stuff when i really get into something, and have been spending alot of time looking up every aspect of this hobby. (Didnt know there was so much to know!)

So i have 12 fancy guppies in a 30 gallon tank. I have been doing daily 30% or so treated water changes to keep things ok for the little guys. Water temp kept at around 80-82*F throughout. I had ran the tank empty for a few days prior to getting the fish and the fish have been in for 8 days now. I have been testing every other day for amonia/nitrites/nitrates and seen amonia spike first, the nitrites up and amonia start to decline, then all nitrites and very little nitrates. Just now i tested and seem to read no amonia, no nitrites, and about 5mg/L nitrates (if there was any of the first two, it wasnt enough to really show on the chart). My kit is the liquid Nutrafin "mini master test kit"

So i know i have been changing the water very frequently, so im going to skip today and let things progress up to a high enough nitrate reading. But could this mean ive somehow went through the cycle that fast? I was under the impression it could take 1.5-2 months. We are excited to be in the clear!

That is pretty fast. Did you accidentally get ahold of some cycled media or something else that might've jump started things?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Fortunately, i am extremely obsessive about stuff when i really get into something, and have been spending alot of time looking up every aspect of this hobby. (Didnt know there was so much to know!)

Good for you. I wish that more people who are new to the hobby adopted your attitude.

My fish in cycle with 2 adolescent fancy goldfish, some danios and a handful of live plants in a 290ltr tank with 20% wc every 2nd day took 4 weeks

That is pretty fast. Did you accidentally get ahold of some cycled media or something else that might've jump started things?

Gravel and decorations were given to me by someone who has a tank, however i thought they were the stuff she wasnt using. Im definately going to ask her though! Fish also came from there and we added the water as well, but i was under the impression that tank water didnt carry the bacteria. Although her tank isnt really clean... so maybe she had some floatys to help me :p Tank and equipment were either new or sitting in a basement for a year so

Tested again today and showed no ammonia or nitrites, and once again seems to show nitrates as the first box, which indicates 5 ppm. So seeing as nothing changed, im thinking im onto a more established schedule now. Not a clue how it came so fast, but ill take it!

Good for you. I wish that more people who are new to the hobby adopted your attitude.

Thanks! It has its ups and downs lol My girlfriend finds it anoying for sure :p

Back
Top Bottom