Cycling help! (again)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I am currently cycling my 10 gallon tank (fish less). I have already asked a similar question on another thread, but I dosed my tank's ammonia to 4 ppm to see if my biological filter could bring the ammonia and nitrite down to 0 in 24 hours (oddly, one drop of ammonia has been bringing it up to around 4-6) and 81/2 hours later, I tested my ammonia and nitrite, and they were all at 0. (I use the API master test kit) Is it possible than my cycle is done? or are the test results wrong? (my ammonia is ace hardware brand)

Thank you! :thanks: :fish2:

It's possible. Make sure you check nitrate before adding fish and do a PWC if needed.

Uhhhhhhhgggggg...turns out the syringe I was using for both testing water and adding ammonia effected test results, so that whole attempt to cycle my tank failed...I knew adding a drop of ammonia bringing it up to 5 ppm seemed fishy (haha fish pun) :facepalm:

Anyway, thanks for all your help! I know you've replied to a lot of my threads! (y) Wish me luck on actually cycling my tank, but I think I'll screw that up too :lol:... :thanks:

Uhhhhhhhgggggg...turns out the syringe I was using for both testing water and adding ammonia effected test results, so that whole attempt to cycle my tank failed...I knew adding a drop of ammonia bringing it up to 5 ppm seemed fishy (haha fish pun) :facepalm:

Anyway, thanks for all your help! I know you've replied to a lot of my threads! (y) Wish me luck on actually cycling my tank, but I think I'll screw that up too :lol:... :thanks:

It happens. I made sure that I labeled the syringe "AMMONIA" because I am paranoid. I threw it out when the cycle was finished.

It was convenient for me that 1/2 tsp was enough for me to get my tank to 4ppm while I was doing my fishless cycle. No need to dink around with syringes for ammonia :)

Ooops! :) hey, I've done similarly stupid thing, spread velvet in 3 tanks using this same feeding and water testing/changing tools without cleanup in between! Facepalm big time!!!! Or bang head! For someone as familiar with sterile and clean technique as I am! We all have our "moments":)

Well ouch for both of you, pearly and platiesareawesome. That stinks. I am lucky. The only disease that I have had in my tank is fin rot, which came as an added surprise on my rummynose. It killed 2 rummynoses, but now the other 6 are okay. Lucky for me it is not really contagious. Well, it is, but it isn't. The bacteria causing fin rot are in every tank pretty much, but they don't affect fish unless they are weak. The rummys must have been weak from handling, because they had it when I bought them, but that store was the only one who sold them.

Cross contamination is not a fun thing... My roommate got columnaris that spread through and wiped out her entire breeding stock of bettas. The only 1 left was her favorite male. It then somehow got transferred to my 55g community where I have finally eradicated the last trace of it after losing half a dozen fish myself.

Cross contamination is not a fun thing... My roommate got columnaris that spread through and wiped out her entire breeding stock of bettas. The only 1 left was her favorite male. It then somehow got transferred to my 55g community where I have finally eradicated the last trace of it after losing half a dozen fish myself.

See the funny thing is that in all my years of medical practice this comes as second nature (keeping things clean and stuff, can't comprehend why the switch of mind set when it came to my fish... But I did! Stupidly! And learned the heard way:)

Ooops! :) hey, I've done similarly stupid thing, spread velvet in 3 tanks using this same feeding and water testing/changing tools without cleanup in between! Facepalm big time!!!! Or bang head! For someone as familiar with sterile and clean technique as I am! We all have our "moments":)

Hahahaha yup! :lol: :fish2:

Mebbid, would you mind looking up my new thread "fin rot" in unhealthy fish section... Got little concern here, wondering if I could get some good feedback

Back
Top Bottom