Cycling is complete, now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am on day 9 total of my 36G Freshwater Tropical Community tank, I just finished my cycling using Cycle. Ammonia = 0, Nitrites = 0, Nitrates = 5-10. On Day 6 I added 3 Zebra Danios. Yesterday I did a 30% water change.

I plan on adding some guppies, a snail, a ghost shrimp, and some mollies.

How fast should I stock my tank now? Can I add 3 tomorrow? 10 tomorrow? 20 tomorrow? 3 per week for the next 2 months?

I am on day 9 total of my 36G Freshwater Tropical Community tank, I just finished my cycling using Cycle. Ammonia = 0, Nitrites = 0, Nitrates = 5-10. On Day 6 I added 3 Zebra Danios. Yesterday I did a 30% water change.

I plan on adding some guppies, a snail, a ghost shrimp, and some mollies.

How fast should I stock my tank now? Can I add 3 tomorrow? 10 tomorrow? 20 tomorrow? 3 per week for the next 2 months?

Maybe add 2 more Zebra danios but IMO keep it to the zebras until your tank fully establishes. Other fish are more sensitive than Zebras (Zebra danios are tough as nails). I'd suggest waiting 2-3 more weeks before you add your guppies etc. When you do add fish, add only a couple of fish at a time to minimize any mini cycles that may occur.

Agreed add 2 or 3 more zebra danios leave it at that for at least another week before adding any other fish.

Alright, 2 more zebras it is. In a week, assuming 0 Ammonia and Nitrites, how many fish can I add then?

Ok. How do I know when I can add the rest? Or, should I just add 3-4 / week until I'm stocked? (seems like a long time, I've heard the biofilter starts slow but once you have a moderate # of fish, you can add a lot of fish, how do I know when that is?)

You could also add the ghost shrimp with the guppies since they don't really have any bioload.

I wouldn't add Molly's either they are a brackish water fish and actually require salt. I would substitute them with platies add them the next week I reccomend 1 male and 3 females. You could put the snail in at the same time.

I can't really answer the last question I always just add fish slow after its cycled and they always do great.

Josh - congrats on your next post being the big #1,000!

After reading your post on salt being required for mollys, doing some research it appears to be a big debate, even amongst long-time breeders of them. My question, would salt hurt an upside down catfish, snail, shrimp, hatchet, platys or danios?

Josh - congrats on your next post being the big #1,000! After reading your post on salt being required for mollys, doing some research it appears to be a big debate, even amongst long-time breeders of them. My question, would salt hurt an upside down catfish, snail, shrimp, hatchet, platys or danios?
Long term-most definitely. Catfish are intolerant to salt. The only fish who can stand it is livebearers. Mollies don't actually need salt... Some breeds of mollies thrive in brackish, and others in full freshwater. Just pick a breed that lives in more freshwater conditions.

I guess I just personally would do platies instead because no matter what will always be 100 percent freshwater. They also have the same look of a Mollie.

Back
Top Bottom