cycling - is the end in sight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollymama

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just did a 50% pwc and tested the water and, for the first time, got a nitrite reading of <.25. That's the lowest it's ever been, and I've heard that when the nitrites finally drop it happens virtually overnight, so I'm hopeful that we're finally nearing the end of the cycling process. I hope so...daily water changes are starting to get tiresome! I'll test again later tonight. If the levels are about the same or finally reach 0, what should I expect next?

It does sound like you are very close to done. I would imagine another week you should have stable aquarium.

Once nitrites go to zero and the ammonia and nitrites stay at zero all the time you can settle into weekly water changes.

you are very close. once the nitrites are totally gona wait one day test again and if it hasnt risen your done! you can do a big water change to reduce nitrates to >20, and go get your fish. i bet your happy. how big is the tank, and what are you stocking?

I am THRILLED! MOstly b/c I've already got fish in it (2 mollies) as I was basically told by the pet store people, "Sure! Add a couple fish after a few days of running the tank and life will be just peachy." Yeah. Total newbie here. Anyway, one of the mollies clearly ended up with ammonia poisoning, at which point I came here and was coached through the steps in trying to keep her alive. Hence the pwc daily...and buying an API kit, and Prime. Well, she recovered and both fish are active, and if the tank is almost cycled I'll be super happy! Oh, it's a 10 gallon tank.

While I'm here, one more question...both fish seem to be "kissing" the tank walls, gravel, thermometer, heater, etc. They didn't used to do this...does this mean algae may be growing?

Back
Top Bottom