Cycling Issues ~Please Help~

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnotherUser

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I'm new to the forums, but have seen many topics and discussions about cycling. Currently the cycling of my tank is having issues so I'm just going to give you my specs.

-FW
-36 Gallon Tank with Heater and HOB filter
-Water Temperature is 76-77 degrees
-Fish added 22 days ago
-Fish-in cycle (I know some people are more inclined to fishless, but I didn't know about it when I started)
-Added 3 Platies the first week
-Added 3 Black Skirt Tetras the second week
-Ammonia has peaked to .5 but since then, which was about first 9 days, it has stayed level
-No Nitrites/Nitrates
-Ammonia has been about 0-.25 and staying stable
-Testing with API Master Liquid Test Kit
-Do know about issues with testing nitrates, have tested properly

My concerns are that the ammonia levels are staying the same level at .25 and a little lower and that I haven't seen nitrites or nitrates. Three weeks seems long to wait for the nitrites to show up. Feedback on whats going on.

Sounds about right for a fish in cycle, since there is not an exact amount of ammonia being dosed daily its not exact just keep with it and it will happen, patience is the hardest part. Cycle times can vary, I'm not too sure since all my tanks are shrimp tanks and were fishless cycled (took about three weeks each). Hopefully we'll get some fish nut on here to chime in. : )

Hi and welcome!
Your right on track. :) It can take 2-4 weeks to see nitrites, sometimes longer. Then another 2-4 weeks to see nitrates. The whole process takes 4-8 weeks usually but can take as long as 12 weeks. Keep testing and doing water changes when you see ammonia or nitrite over .25-.5ppm. And don't add any more fish until you are sure it's complete.

Thanks to the both of you, I was really starting to worry about if I was doing something wrong. Some additional details
-PH is around 7.6
-Added a few decorations from an established betta tank, half a cup of gravel, and some water with that. (Betta tank from when I didn't know what cycling was, but still did water changes and kept it clean, and it cycled without me noticing.)

Back
Top Bottom