cycling levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bardneym

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
I started cycling my tank 10 days ago. I am testing using an AP kit. For the last 3 days i have tested at the same time and have had exactly the same results, it shows 1ppm Ammonia, 1ppm NitrIte and 40ppm Nitrate.

is this normal, or have i done something wrong? I added some plants that i got from a LFS on Monday, which came from their tanks. Do i need to do a PWC? I last did one on Tuesday (30%). I havent added any Ammonia since Tuesday!

Thank You

Mark

How much light are you running? Putting in plants from the LFS is good as long as your not running very much light. Having NH3 and a lot of light can and will become an algae factory.

I have the standard hood on, its a 96 litre aquarium with a 20 watt light. I only have it on for 8 hours a day at the moment, i haven't had any algae problems and the plants seem to be OK (I think a couple of them have grown!). Which is good, as i usually can't even manage normal houseplants normally! *g*

Mark

depending on how long the LFS had the plants and if they are like my LFS and keep fish in the "Plant" tank then you might get lucky and get a nice seed of the critters that you need to finish the tank cycle (I have accually cycled a few impatient friends tanks just by having them goto my LFS and pickup a couple bundles of anacharis. costs them 4.00 compared to the 20.00 my lfs charges for biospira.

I would keep testing and keep doing your cycle.

your Patience will be rewarded

Back
Top Bottom