Cycling my 16 g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PepperidgeFarms

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm super confused about my tank. This is my first time doing a fishless cycle so I bought some ammonia for it.
I started cycling about 11 days ago. I got the water to about 4 ppm and left it. I put in a piece of congo driftwood which I stupidly only rinsed off and didn't boil so it had some crazy mold or algae growing on it. I took it out, scrubbed it and boiled it for hours but people online seemed to think it's nothing dangerous.
Anyway after 8 days the readings were already
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
.5 nitrates
I went on vacation for a couple of days so decided to pour a bit more ammonia in since I didn't want to add fish and leave them alone right away totally unsupervised so I figured when I get back I can add some plants/fish when it's ready.
Today (3 days after re-adding the ammonia) the readings are
0 ammonia
2-5 nitrites (I have the hardest time differentiating the colours when they're so close)
.5 ammonia

Could the tank really be almost cycled within 11 days? When can I start adding plants?

Also I boiled the wood for a few hours and there seems to be more stuff growing back during while I was away. It's not nearly as bad but there's still some. Should I just boil it for hours again?

Attachments

• P_20180526_212009_vHDR_On.jpg
    P_20180526_212009_vHDR_On.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 45
Update:
This afternoon I tested the water again and the
Ammonia is 0
Nitrites are 5+
Nitrates are 160+

Am I supposed to do a pwc to get rid of the nitrates or wait until the nitrites are at 0 again?

Back
Top Bottom