Cycling my 2.5 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meagan.Marie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay its a mini bow 2.5 kit.

I don't know where to begin

It comes in on Tuesday and since the cycle takes a while I would like to get started right away

The only fish I plan on putting in there are my bettas Merlin And Harry potter

I will be getting 2 2.5 gal kits since they are both males. Haha I am smart enough to know not to put them in the same tank.

What should I buy

Should I cycle with my fish or without it.

This is my first cycling experience. Also my tap water is not safe. Should I just use bottled spring water? I do treat my water with a conditioner and I put a tad bit of aquarium salt in it.

Please help me I am a noob and this is my first aquatic adventure. I have never had fish before.

Kit came with a hood the light and the filter. I am purchasing the heater from an LFS.

I have read the cycling for dummies, my problem is it didnt give specifics. and I feel as though it was advised for bigger tanks.

Well since it's a small tank, the food method would work well. Just drop some fish flakes in there and monitor the results. You have a liquid test kit right? Wait until you have nitrates, and no nitrites/ammonia and you are done.

--Adeeb

I am picking up a test kit as well. I was wondering if tetra safe start would work as well to help speed it up. And should I use the gravel from my fish bowls right now? would that help?

The gravel would help. It's a hit or miss with the safestart. Some people say it works, and some don't. I wouldn't waste my money on It.

--Adeeb

I agree--the gravel could potentially speed the cycle. Just make sure you are still seeding the tank with some form of ammonia, or the bacteria in the gravel will not survive.

sounds good. Don't overdo it. Using fish food does work... but fish food also contains a lot of PO4 (phosphates). This can cause some bad algae if it gets out of control.

I am confused as to what cycling actually does. in a 2.5 gallon tank. I just don't get it. the pet store wants you to believe that you can just buy it set it up and put fish in it. I also don't understand How I could put my fish in a 2 gallon bowl and not have to cycle at all because without a filter it isn't possible.

you do not have to have a filter to cycle a tank.

Cycling is allowing the nitrobacter and nitrosoma bacteria to colonize in a tank so that it can complete the nitrogen cycle. In a tank that is not cycled, there are no bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite, and then nitrite to nitrate, which is the goal. Ammonia/nitrite are toxic to fish in very small amounts. Nitrate, while still toxic, is tolerable up to levels many times as much as ammonia.

No. PWCs are necessary for any healthy tank. It does however reduce the frequency of PWCs necessary for a healthy environment. Before a cycle is complete, if cycling with fish, it will require 50%+ daily PWCs. After a cycle is complete, a tank can go a week or 2 between PWCs. Some people go longer than 2 weeks... my personal opinion is the best way to keep the tank healthy is to still do PWCs weekly, even on mature tanks.

Well a partial water change and a full water change are completely different in my bowls right now since I don't have a filter I do a full water change every 4 days and a partial every two. But If i were to cycle with my betta it would survive if I did a pwc every day? i want to get them out of their bowls and into something bigger asap. I was an uninformed buyer...

If the fish has been in the bowl for a long while, the bowl will have beneficial bacteria (it would be cycled). Performing a daily PWC would be beneficial.

You bowl is probably cycled to some extent, so the betta would be better off there until your 2.5 cycles.

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom