cycling my 55 gallon tank: Am I ready to add more fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liamdalr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I've recently started to combine my 10 and 20 gallon tank into a 55 gallon tank. I bought a used tank and filter. I started by pitting the used media (bio balls) from my established tanks into the larger filter that came with the tank. I then added the plants and rocks from my established tanks. And now have the tank running. I added smaller fish to my tank after day two and feed them once a day. Its now day 5 and I have been monitoring the ammonia and nitrates daily. However the ammonia has never appeared in any tests and nitrates appears today at 5 on the natrafin test scale, which indicates its low. The pH is at 7.4.
Would it be possible that my tank has cycled enough due to the use of established media? Or is there still a chance of a spike in ammonia waiting to happen, meaning i should hold off on putting the remaing three medium size fish in that tank? Any thoughts would he appreciated.thank you!

Tank Seeding

Hello liam...

Adding the used media from the other, smaller tanks is helpful. However, the tank is cycled for this number of fish only. All the water in the 55 gallon tank has diluted the wastes, this is why you won't get much of a nitrogen reading.

You can add a few more, small fish. Continue to test the tank water daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test, then remove and replace a quarter of the water and replace it with treated tap water. Once you have several daily tests with no traces of the above toxins, the tank is cycled.

B

You could also remove the small fish and put them jn one of your other tanks and do a fishless cycle. Just an idea

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom