Cycling.. Need Help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ChristinaE12 said:
I'll start dosing the Ammo around 2ppm then. Although before I dose that again today, should I do another water change to get the Nitrite readable or should I see if it catches up on it's own?

I still don't understand the whole Nitrate dropping fiasco thing. But I'm gonna ignore that for now. I just really hope it don't come back and bite me in the butt. :whistle:

If you got the no2 down yesterday, there's no need to do it again. Just do what you've been doing for now :)

As for the nitrAte, its an absolute mystery to me...and since things seem to be going as planned now, I'm going to chalk it up to an anomaly and not worry myself about it.

Day 14

PH - 7.6
Ammo - 0
Nitrite - 5+
Nitrate - Between 80-160.

Now I'm just waiting 'til the nitrites come down. Hopefully I'm nearing the end here. Wish I could speed it up. But for 2 weeks in I don't think I'm doing to bad.

Went out of town yesterday and came back today. I think something good actually happened too. At least I'm hoping.

Yesterday - Day 15

PH - 7.6
Ammo - 0
Nitrite - 5+
Nitrate - Between 80-160.

Today - Day 16

PH - 7.6
Ammo - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - Between 80-160

So, I then re-dosed the Ammo to around .5-1ppm. Which was just a little over an hour ago at this point.

Also, tested Nitrite and got a reading of around .25ppm right away. Which before I dosed Ammo was at 0. But yesterday was off the charts and unreadable.

If I'm thinking correctly (been a long night/day) I'm converting Nitrites now too fairly quickly and should be getting near the end.

Umm....you might be done!

Test the bio-filter a couple more times to make sure it can drop ~3ppm down to zero with zero nitrItes within 24 hours. If it can, lower the heater, do a massive pwc to get nitrAtes below 20...and add fish!!! :)

Umm....you might be done!

Test the bio-filter a couple more times to make sure it can drop ~3ppm down to zero with zero nitrItes within 24 hours. If it can, lower the heater, do a massive pwc to get nitrAtes below 20...and add fish!!! :)

That would be freaking awesome...I'll dose the ammo up and go from there.

Thanks for all your help Eco. Be lost without you.. haha.

ChristinaE12 said:
That would be freaking awesome...I'll dose the ammo up and go from there.

Thanks for all your help Eco. Be lost without you.. haha.

I'll be anxious to hear the results tomorrow :). I expect good news.

Did the tests a couple times today..

Day 17.

11:25 am

Ammo - 0
Nitrite - 5+

Just tested again at 8:30 and it read around 0-.25. But it was pretty much blue. But had a very very slight purple tint (barely). So yeah. It hasn't been a full 24 hours either, yet, but close enough.

ChristinaE12 said:
Did the tests a couple times today..

Day 17.

11:25 am

Ammo - 0
Nitrite - 5+

Just tested again at 8:30 and it read around 0-.25. But it was pretty much blue. But had a very very slight purple tint (barely). So yeah. It hasn't been a full 24 hours either, yet, but close enough.

Woo-hoo!!!

I'd test it one more time...then lower the heater, get no3 below .25...then add fish!!!

Great job:)

Yeah.. Figured I'd still test it at least a couple times to make sure.

Forgot to mention, but I'm sure you figured.. But, I did re-dose the Ammonia back up to like 3ish ppm last night at around 10pm.

If all goes right I'd have finished just over 2 weeks. Not bad and quicker than I was expecting.

:thanks:

Good news..

Day 18. Just tested and it has been about 12 hours since I re dosed ammo.

Ammo - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 80-160.

:dance:

That's officially a cycled tank with an enormously powerful bio-filter :)

I think without a question it's time for fish!

Remember you've got a massive pwc ahead of you to get the nitrAtes below 20. I'd start with a giant one down to the gravel (keep gravel covered), and maybe another after that if they're still high.

Congrats!!!

Back
Top Bottom