Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cycling new 75 with filter cartridge

I set up my new tank yesterday and I'm trying to cycle it a little faster than usual. I wanted to know if I could speed up the process of cycling with one of my other tanks cartridges. I tied it by the newer filter so it hits the current. I also put in some of the decor from my other tanks. How long can cycling take with this method?

Old 05-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was told to use half old tank water, use your old filter media, and use some old gravel also! They told me an instant cycle granted your other tank is cycled

Old 05-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxRaid View Post
I set up my new tank yesterday and I'm trying to cycle it a little faster than usual. I wanted to know if I could speed up the process of cycling with one of my other tanks cartridges. I tied it by the newer filter so it hits the current. I also put in some of the decor from my other tanks. How long can cycling take with this method?
Hey, just a bit more info needed. What type of filter, HOB, Canister???. Are you planning on leaving the transferred décor in the 75??.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

PS....Have you gravel in the other tanks???
Old 05-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have one HOB currently on for now till I can afford another. The cannister I tried to use yesterday leaked everywhere so I returned it. I am using new sand I threw in some of my other tanks shells I plan on keeping in there. I will keep the major large decor in there from my other tanks which is like 2 things but I do want to remove the other stuff. And I didn't add half of the other tanks water because I read that bacteria doesn't necessarily latch around in water but resides on the decor.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you can put the 'old' cartridge or even part of the sponge inside the HOB, that would be best. Make sure it's touching the new media so it can transfer BB. Also clean your other filters media in used tank water and pour this water into your HOB, all of it, including the gunge.
You don't need old tank water, as you said, no BB in it.....
You would need to keep the 'old' sponge in there for a few weeks but keep testing the water after you stock it. Remember to stock slowly to give the BB a chance to multiple....
Old 05-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I can't really get anything in the HOB the other cartridges are tightly concealed in there. I'll just have it hang for now. I'm trying to be careful when I do stock it because I am going to be moving my older fish in the new tank and I don't want them to go into shock and die. Had them for a couple of years now
Old 05-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxRaid View Post
I can't really get anything in the HOB the other cartridges are tightly concealed in there. I'll just have it hang for now. I'm trying to be careful when I do stock it because I am going to be moving my older fish in the new tank and I don't want them to go into shock and die. Had them for a couple of years now
Well try squeezing some of the gunge in from the old filter media. That will certainly kick start it.....
Old 05-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Or you could do it other way round, put some of the new filters media into the old filter....
Old 05-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
Well try squeezing some of the gunge in from the old filter media. That will certainly kick start it.....
Alright thx

Tags
cartridge, cycling, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com