Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cycling New Tank

Hi i have 2 ranchus in a very small 8 litre tank , it's too cold for us to put them in our pond now so i have ordered a 32 litre tank for them to live in till spring they are small maybe 3 cms . My new tank will be delivered this week with 3 new plants and i have new gravel to put in , any tips on how to best start the cycle the 3 plants i allready have should i put in the new tank or leave in small tank till i move fish , i have a pot in the small tank should i put that in the new one and was wondering about putting some gravel from small tank to new one just to get things going and then take it out . In my order i also have 2 shrimps coming and a new zebra snail( the one i have hasnt moved for 5 days but does not smell)should i put them in the small tank .
also i dont know if it's an option to just pour the water from small tank to large tank ( maybe through a net to get rid of the pooh)top up with fresh water and put them all in there from day 1 .

Old 02-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Look It Up

Does the current tank have a filter? How long ahve the fish been in the 8 liter tank? If so just move the filter to the new tank and run it with the new filter. Even if it doesn't I'd still move them to the new tank; the larger volume of water will help dissipate the toxins more than a smaller tank would. Then treat it as a fish-in cycle. These links might help:
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Now 6 weeks on i finally got things moving around a month ago , the tank i got online was delivered broken ,but now all is up and running , my 2 sakura shrimp are doing fine , the bad news is that 2 days after setting up tank a heron came and ate all but one off the fish in my pond , left the big one on the floor , we found her dry but she did move when we touched her so put her back in pond and even tough she was quite bashed up she has survived.

Tags
cycling, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com