Cycling new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glene20

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought a 30g tank and not too sure which filter to buy for it. Is a canister too much. Will a HOB filter work as biological filtration aswell?

A HOB would be fine. I'd recommend an AquaClear 70 or two AC 50s.

A HOB would be fine. I'd recommend an AquaClear 70 or two AC 50s.

Unless you plan on overstocking this much filtration is overkill. 1 AC50 would be plenty. If you plan on having a lot of plants, then a AC30 would be fine.

Thanks . So is aqua clear definitely the best HOB filter in your opinion?

I'm about to have to start cycling a 180 tomorrow. Iv never "officially" cycled a tank before. Only filtered it and added some water cleansers. Then run it a day or two. But i wanna deffinatly spend some time letting this cycle threw. I'm gonna use a bunch of now in use HOB filters to help speed the process. Is there anything else I can do to help speed the process? It's mainly gonna be for my rtc but im gonna add some more(potential food) fish eventually after its going for a bit.

Raising the tempature of the water might help speed it up and if the filters you have are already in established tanks that will help greatly too. If u need to you could use pure ammonia . Just keep testing the water

It puts the bacraria u need into the tank. Basically your using ammonia instead of fish waste to cycle tank . Thats the way I do it. Works great. And its cleaner. Some people use fish food but that decays and kinda stays in the tank . If your going to use ammonia just make sure it has no other chemicals in it

Tank Filtration

I just bought a 30g tank and not too sure which filter to buy for it. Is a canister too much. Will a HOB filter work as biological filtration aswell?

Hello G...

A standard hang on the back filter is fine and last time I checked about one-third the cost of a canister filter. Hagen has a good product. Put an AC50 on your 30 G and change out a good percentage of the tank water every week or so and you'll have a healthy tank.

B

Back
Top Bottom