Cycling new tank, PH is high, is that normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoneStarVet

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I recently purchased the Aqueon 15 gallon tall column tank because for one, I wanted a tank bad, and after months of wanting, I finally went and got it. Ive moved a lot, so I never had the time to settle down and actually be able to care for a tank and fish. But my wife and I purchased our first home last April (2012) and I was finally able to get one.
I grew up having fish, Cichlids mainly, and Ive always loved fish in general.

So, I finally set up this fish tank last week 16 May 2013....I washed everything in water, left all the plants soak for a couple of hours while i rinsed the rocks. Finally got everything up and running. Then about 2 days later I went and bought the Aqueon 50 Filter because it has a much much longer tube which sits about 3-3.5 inches off the top of the gravel. It seems to move the water way more and along with the decorative column which has an airstone under it, i added a second airstone to the back right of the tank under the tall plant in the corner. I do feel that there is an adequate amount of water movement. When setting up the tank I added the Aqueon Water Conditioner along with API Stress Zyme+. Since then the tank has just been running waiting for the right time to add fish.

The temperature has been at a steady 74* so i went a purchased an Eheim Heater with a programmable thermostat (should be here tomorrow) because I would like to have the tank at 79-81*, of course that could change depending on the fish i get.

Anyways the reason i began this post to begin with...

I did my first water tests with the API Fresh Water Master Test Kit and came up with the following results...
PH: 8.4 <---This is my issue!
Ammonia: 0 PPM
Nitrite: 0 PPM
Nitrate: 0 PPM

I never worried about water testing when i was younger therefore i must admit that testing the water is new to me. I have not looked up if the ammonia, nitrite and nitrates are supposed to be all at 0. I followed the directions exactly as i read. But at the moment my main concern is the levels of my PH. I have been reading that my PH should be way lower than what it currently is. I kind of don't want to have to be treating the water and hiding whatever the problem may be. I want the issue fixed that way I don't have to ever have to mask the problem with quick fixes (if that's even possible).

I was thinking of maybe moving over my daughters 2 guppies and tetra to see if that would help. But i am not sure.

Any and all advice will greatly be appreciated!!

Thanks and have a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend...

Attachments

• IMG_2559 (466x640).jpg
    IMG_2559 (466x640).jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2572.jpg
    IMG_2572.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2557.jpg
    IMG_2557.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_2570.jpg
    IMG_2570.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 71
Did I miss something? How are you cycling? Are you using pure ammonia? Until you add something that will put ammonia in the tank readings of zero are normal. In order to grow the bacteria you need in your filter you need to have ammonia. Your pH is high but don't worry about it for now. While I don't know for certain how well your water is buffered, with high pH it probably is and that is good for stability during your cycle.

If you haven't already, read this. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Your tank is very pretty. Best wishes on it!

Cory,

Hi, and no i have not added anything to the water other than the Aqueon water conditioner and the API stress Zyme+. The directions for the stress zyme instruct to double the original dose when first starting a new tank setup "to help boost the biological filter". Other than these 2 things, nothing. I will begin reading the post you linked now. But i am assuming i need to go and get some ammonia and start adding some in...

Have you tested the Ph straight out of the tap? If its the same then youre good. If the tap is way lower then something in your tank is causing an increase... which is not so good.

Dont worry too much about a high Ph like that. My tap and tank PH is 8.2 and my fish are fine. Just make sure you acclimate new fish correctly so that they dont get shocked.

Also, decide how youre going to cycle your tank before you put any fish in. A Fish-In cycle will require constant testing and sometimes multiple water changes in a day.

I was reading the link you posted and it mentioned adding stuff from a different tank to help... my daughter has a1 gallon tank in her room. no filter just stone, but plenty of gravel...could i add that in there in a bag and leave it open and put it in? I plan on heading to get the ammonia and some Dechlorinator first thing in the morning.
I really dont want to use her fish...i was wanting to be as humane as possible..
Would maybe taking the plant and placing it in the new tank as well?

Regardless, im grabbing ammonia first thing tomorrow..

i tested the water from my kitchen and it registered just a tad darker than the 7.6 color with the regular ph test. so i tested again with the high ph test and it was about 8.3. Hope this helps.

Gravel from another tank will help, but not as much as filter material will. Be sure to put the gravel in a mesh bag so it is easy to remove when you are done with it.

Be very careful about what kind of ammonia you get. It is explained in the article. When you add it, you are adding it in drops. I'd start with as many drops as you have gallons (15) and test. Btw you probably actually have a little less water than 15 gallons but its close enough for these purposes.

I'm guessing the stress zyme instructions assumed you were adding fish right away. It is sad when instruction aren't explicit. It is supposed to add the beneficial bacteria, but they need a source of ammonia. I say supposed to because unless it is stored and shipped properly any beneficial bacteria that were in the bottle have probably died.

Testing your tap water and comparing to see if something in your tank is raising the pH is a very valid suggestion and you should do it, but for now a high pH is a good thing for the cycle.

Yes, your water is high out of the tap. Don't worry about it. As long as you acclimate them most fish will be okay. There are ways to lower pH but it is something to be undertaken with great care. Do not dump in pH lowering chemicals you buy at the fish store. That's a pretty sure way to mess things up.

Thanks for all your help; i got everything needed (ammonia as described in the link posted above) and the process has begun. Hopefully all goes well.

I am having similar issues with my 20 gallon tank. I have 4 angelfish babies(...will upgrade to larger tank within a month for adequate space) and I'm worried about my levels. My ph is 8-8.2. I read that high ph can really bother angels, and I noticed my tiniest (nickel sized) angel's tail is frayed. I'm familiar with fin-rot, and am 90% sure that's not what's going on here. Also, these angels (so far) have schooled. They don't nip, except very rarely at night, the big one "pushes" the others away from his "bed". So, my ammonia and nitrites are 0. The nitrates are .25 (but that is what my tap water tests). My tap water tests 8 for ph, but I buy spring water, and was doing 50/50 in hopes of lowering the ph. I used stability and prime to cycle, and have no idea if it worked, because I only got a reading of .25 ammonia one time in the 3-4 weeks the tank has been running (used the stability on first week). Should I just leave everything alone? I have another thread on this, but thought if try here too. Also, my tank is cloudy with tiny white particles. I'm afraid to mess with it too much, cause I over-fixed my 10 gallon and made everything worse. How do I know if the tank is cycled? Do I worry about the ph? How often should I change the water if I get no Ammon, nitrite readings? Sorry to tag onto your post. I only have my phone to navigate this site, so finding info is difficult. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom