Cycling new tank w/ other tank's media HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Setup my new 29 gal high w/ Aquatech 30-60 HOB. Used Eco-complete for the first time (filled tank, put Eco in w/ new filters day before plants & fish). Used Prime on temp matched water. Put in my plants, acclimated my fish & old bio filters. Left 2 fish & 1/2 the bio filter media in the old tank--a 15 gal column. Also left all the gravel, plastic plants & large decos.

Today, the new tank had .5ppm Ammonia, ZERO NitrItes & ZERO NitrAtes. The old tank had perfect parameters before I moved stuff, so I'd assume I'd get an instant cycle w/ the new tank since I moved pretty much all the fish. Is there a theory on what to expect here?? A few days or a week or two of this mini cycle? Or am I lookin at a full fish-in cycle? ACK!! Ha ha...

It is different for everyone. I used seeded media from my tank to the pond and it cycled over night. It should be shorter since your filter (if it didn't die) had bacteria but there is no way of knowing how long that I know of. Treat it as a fish in cycle and good luck

So you used almost the same fish load but half of the media? If so then that's probably why you have a mini-cycle due to losing half of the bacteria but still keeping the same fish load. Hopefully it won't last long; just test daily and do water changes as needed until things level out.

Thks for your replies guys! Well, it's an aqueon kit filter so there's some sorta "bio filter" area that's a blue plastic piece infront of the filter plus the white carbon filled (which I removed the carbon long ago) filter & a bio-sponge I bought extra. I cut the bio-sponge in 1/2 & added it to both sides of my new tank's Aquatech 30-60 filter. In hindsight, I shoulda just move 1 school at a time. I guess I just assumed the majority of the BB would be on the bio-sponge. I was afraid I'd leave the old tank w/ not enough BB. Plus the Eco-complete boasts to have BB or maybe I misunderstood it. I thought I'd have a very smooth transition! Oh well, fish-in cycle it is... actually keeps me occupied & stop obsessing on what fish to add & not make any hasty decisions about that!! Ha ha...

As far as "what timeframe +/- can I expect"... I read somewhere that BB doubles every 24hrs or some other timeframe?? I know there's a risk I lost BB in the move, etc too that's a factor. I guess I'll just have to wait & see!

Today... .25ppm Ammonia, .5ppm NitrItes & 5-10ppm NitrAtes.

Yesterday after having .5ppm Ammonia, I did a large PWC (30%). Tested & got .5ppm again!! And b/c my tap water tests w/ .25ppm Ammonia, i left it alone. But I was thinking maybe it was between .5ppm-1ppm when I thought it was .5ppm yesterday. So after testing today, I did another 30% PWC. I think my mini cycle is moving along nicely.

Anybody have any thoughts on how I'm handling my unplanned fish-in cycle?? (Thought I'd have an instant cycle, I was wrong!!)

Just keep up with the water changes. Maybe bc the tank you moved the fish to is larger and you only took half ur having a mini cycle like previously stated. I used an old filter from both my 20 g and my 5g and still had to do water changes about every other day on my 55. It took about a week for it to adjust.

Ok, Thks!! Ahh... a timeframe! That's the info I was lookin for. Since I've had quite a bit of change between 2 days, I have confidence mine is progressing like yours did. So exciting!! I love having these experiences & gaining expertise as an Aquarist.

Today's numbers... 0-.25ppm Ammonia
.5-1ppm NitrIte (**Edit: NitrIte was .25-.5ppm)
5-10pm NitrAtes

Did another LARGE PWC (40%). This NitrIte spike freaked me out. I'm double dosing the Prime & changing the water everyday in hopes this isn't doing damage to these guys. I just wonder about large PWCs or high levels, which is worse?? Should I try 2x daily smaller PWC changes instead?

Edit: NitrIte was .25-.5ppm

If you are dosing prime then one pwc a day is plenty. Alternatively you could maintain a low level of salt in the tank to reduce nitrite toxicity. It's a longer term solution than prime anyhow.

I'm sorry, I'm just realizing my NitrIte yesterday was .25-.5ppm

Thks jetajockey! That's reassuring that Prime is helping too. I'm just double dosing the water I'm adding in the buckets before I add it, should I dose the whole tank??

Today's... 0-.25ppm ammonia, .5ppm-1ppm NitrIte, 5-10ppm NitrAtes

I'm gonna do two large PWC's today to bring those NitrItes down, then maybe see if I can get by on 1 PWC a day once I feel like NitrItes are under control.

I keep 3-4 5 gallon buckets of water with lids filled before I do water changes. I will fill them up, and place them in the pantry for 24-48 hours with the lids fitted loosely let the ammonia leach out and add the prime to remove the chlorine.

chrismiller21 said:
I keep 3-4 5 gallon buckets of water with lids filled before I do water changes. I will fill them up, and place them in the pantry for 24-48 hours with the lids fitted loosely let the ammonia leach out and add the prime to remove the chlorine.

Yeah, I keep my water in 2.5 gal jugs in my spare bedrm so it's always ready to go! I need to get buckets for water storage. I add the Prime an hour or two before I put it into the tank & I give the jugs a few shakes throughout those hours--giving the Prime a chance to do its thing.

Yeah, I keep my water in 2.5 gal jugs in my spare bedrm so it's always ready to go! I need to get buckets for water storage. I add the Prime an hour or two before I put it into the tank & I give the jugs a few shakes throughout those hours--giving the Prime a chance to do its thing.

Prime works instantaneously, no need to let the water sit out. :)

I've read differing opinions on it. I leave the water out mainly for temperature match & to let it gas off. Plus, it comes outta my tap warmer than room temp!! And as for the Prime, I have the time & it can't hurt to put it in a couple of hours early, so I do. Now of course, if a PWC was needed immediately, I wouldn't wait, I'd dose & go. Thanks for your input though, I definitely value it!!

Update:

Yesterday: 0-.25ppm amm, 0-.25ppm NitrIte (barely purple), 5-10ppm NitrAtes ((did not do a PWC)--only did 1 PWC day before when I said I was gonna do 2.)

Today: 0-.25ppm amm (barely any color), ZERO ppm NitrIte, 5ppm NitrAtes (no PWC)

I think my tank is cycled!!

Back
Top Bottom