Cycling not cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gibberwatt

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi.

I have a 15 gall tall aquarium, doing a fished cycle. It has been doing this for two weeks, and before that, it was doing a non fished cycle for another two. The ammonia levels are 0, and the nitrite levels are 0. Does anyone know why?

Thanks

Cycling a Tank w/ Fish

Hi.

I have a 15 gall tall aquarium, doing a fished cycle. It has been doing this for two weeks, and before that, it was doing a non fished cycle for another two. The ammonia levels are 0, and the nitrite levels are 0. Does anyone know why?

Thanks

Hello Gibb...

Small tanks are difficult to manage, because the water chemistry can change quickly. There's not a large enough volume of water to maintain a steady water chemistry.

Here's the basic procedure. You use 3 to 4 hardy fish or every 10 gallons of water. Guppies, Platys, Rasboras and Zebra Danios are good choices. You put in some floating plants like Hornwort to help filter the water. You use a liquid water testing kit and test the water daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a trace of either, you remove 25 percent of the tank water and replace it with pure, treated tap water.

You test the water daily and replace it when needed. You'll want to feed the fish a little bit every couple of days. When several daily tests show no traces of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled. The cycle takes roughly a month. From this point forward, you change half the tank water every week to maintain good water conditions.

I'd strongly suggest a larger tank. A 30 gallon will greatly improve your chances for success in the waterkeeping hobby.

B

Hi.

Thanks

I think when you were doing the fishless cycle, you did not give it enough time to work. You did not mention the ammonia source you were using for the fishless cycle (pure ammonia, dead shrimp, fish food, etc). Having some established media from an existing filter really helps. Otherwise it could at least a month to get the cycle going.
Since you are doing a fish-in cycle, keep up with the water changes and keep monitoring your parameters, including the nitrates.

First off, this is my second tank. I have some tetras and an angel (all of whom were being bullied) in the tank. I also have an umbrella plant, which is not looking all that happy (any suggestions?). Since I have been cycling this tank for a month, and there are no traces of ammonia or nitrites, does that mean that it is cycled?

Honestly, I did the first tank purely by luck. I had done almost no cycling research. I didn't even know it existed. So this is basically my first tank that I am actively cycling. yipee

First off, this is my second tank. I have some tetras and an angel (all of whom were being bullied) in the tank. I also have an umbrella plant, which is not looking all that happy (any suggestions?). Since I have been cycling this tank for a month, and there are no traces of ammonia or nitrites, does that mean that it is cycled?

Honestly, I did the first tank purely by luck. I had done almost no cycling research. I didn't even know it existed. So this is basically my first tank that I am actively cycling. yipee

After I posted I thought about that (zero ammonia & nitrite...cycled?). Question is, what are the nitrates at? If they are zero, then something's not right. If they are > 10-20 ppm, then the tank is probably cycled. Having an established tank is a good way to jump start a new tank/filter if necessary.

I had put in the established tank's old filter sponge, but I have no way to test the nitrates. For the fishless cycle, I was using some crappy free fish food that came with the tank.

I think that even with daily water changes, 6 fish would make the ammonia levels go up in a day, right? So something has to be eating the ammonia, because I haven't gotten a reading above 0 for atleast a week.

I had put in the established tank's old filter sponge, but I have no way to test the nitrates. For the fishless cycle, I was using some crappy free fish food that came with the tank.

I think that even with daily water changes, 6 fish would make the ammonia levels go up in a day, right? So something has to be eating the ammonia, because I haven't gotten a reading above 0 for atleast a week.

The daily water changes are most likely diluting what little ammonia is present. Perhaps the tank is cycled. Would it be possible to take a sample of water to an LFS and ask for the nitrates to be tested? Try to get an number instead of "It's fine".

Back
Top Bottom