cycling problem..need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I just thought of this...how will I cycle my Q tank???

My Q tank is a 10 gal. tank. My reg. tank is 29 gal. I was going to cycle to 29 with 4 platies and put 7 neons in the Q. But the Q needs to be cycles first. Should I put two platies in each tank so i cycle both? I need some answers. fishless cycling I don't really wanna do. Thanks[/u]

Run the filter for the QT on the 29 gal tank. Neon's are not good fish to start with as they are sensitive to water conditions. I highly recommend fishless cycling. It is alot faster and won't harm any fish in the process. Is there a reason why you don't want to go fishless?

By running both filters on the 29 gal tank, you will be cycling both at the same time. Two platies really aren't going to cause much ammonia, so you when add fish in the future, you will have to take your time so you don't cause ammonia spikes.

so all I have to do is run the filters in both my aquariums and I am cycling it? OR did you mean, put both filters in the 29 gal, cycle the 29 gal, put the filter pad thingy back in the ten and the ten will be cycled?

If not tell me about fishless cycling please!

setup both filters on the 29 gal tank. Run them at the same time. When you need to setup the QT, move the smaller filter to the 10 gal tank. But the 29 gal tank must be cycled for this to be effective. If the 29 gal tank is mid-cycle and you setup the QT, it won't be an instant cycle. But if you let the 29 cycle, then wait a few weeks then setup the QT, it will be an instant cycle.

There is an article in the Articles section regarding fishless cycle. But basically you pour enough ammonia into the tank to bring the level up to 2 ppm. Maintain that level everyday by adding additional ammonia. When the Nitrite spike, reduce the ammonia to 1 ppm every day. When Ammonia and nitrites are both zero, you have a cycled tank.

Sorry, should add that When Ammonia dn nitrites are both zero and Nitrates are present, your tank is cycled.

I don't really get fishless cyciling at all. I have read articles about it and all..GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..

Can I do this? :

add my four platies into 29 gal. to cycle. Set up my ten gal tank( I will run the filter). Then after the platies are done cycling, put them in the Q tank and add the neons to the 20 gal. After 3 weeks I will put the platies back in the 29 gal., and put my gourami in the Q tank. How does this sound?

If you are going to cycle your 29gal with your platies, run your filter for your 10 gal on the 29 at the same time and they will both be cycled. Also do regular water changes and keep a close eye on your parameters to make sure your fish survive the cycle. Fishless cycling isn't as difficult as it seems. You start by dosing the pure ammonia into the tank with no fish. Keep adding the ammonia to keep it to about 4 ppm, as the cycle progresses the ammonia will turn to nitrite. keep adding ammonia until the nitrites turn to nitrate. Do a water change and you are cycled. Either way running both filters on the 29 will be the best.

Run BOTH filters on the 29 gal tank. You are basically cycling the filters, not necessarily the tank. It is not difficult to do, you just have to be prepared for the time and attention that it requires. Cycling with fish is hazardous to the fish health and can potentially cause life threatening issues (ammonia burns, nitrite poisoning). If you do end up cycling with fish, be prepared for many water changes and testing the levels every night.

I've heard tossing a raw (not a cooked one like the shrimp rings) dead shrimp in the tank will produce natural ammonia (you can get one, preferably smaller, at a local grocery store with a seafood section), then you just have to watch your levels..

Yup, you can use the raw shrimp, but it smells and makes a mess. Pure ammonia does not have those drawbacks. Plus, you don't have to wait for it to decompose.

Back
Top Bottom