Cycling Q's. Going Fishless.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supradupafast

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright, I have made a mistake by taking "Big Al's" advice on cycling my 60Gal with 6 Danios in. After trying for 4 weeks, I am starting to think that these Danios will never make enough of a Bio-Load on the size of Tank, and I have decided to switch to a Fishless after reading so many posts on them. I have taken my 6 Danios and transfered them to my established 10 Gal. I am keeping an eye on the levels, and doing daily 40% pwc (on my 10gal) so I do get a spike in Ammonia/Nitrites. So, having said that the Danios are safe.

Now, on with my 60 Gal.
Prior to adding Ammonia, my levels when I took out the fish were:
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrites: 0.25
Nitrates: 5
PH: 7.2 (Stable)

I have purchased some Goldex Ammonia (I have read multiple ppl from other forums recommending this brand). From reading posts on here, I should be bringing my Ammonia levels to +- 2.5 ? How much Ammonia should I be putting in?
I started putting in Ammonia 48 Hrs ago. Started with 2 Cap full (small caps about 3ml ea), and my Ammonia only went to 1.
I have since added 2 more cap fulls, and my Ammonia still won't go over 1.
I am running a Eheim Canister 80Gal filter. Any input or help would be appreciated.

UPDATE:

After a couple of days, I am getting a NitrIte Spike.
Nitrites are now at 5PPM, Ammonia still sitting at 1PPM.

I think the point is at the end of the cycle, you should be able to put in ammonia and then check it later and it should read 0.

I figured that too.. This morning, I tested the Tank... I have no clue what's happening. By now, I figured the Ammonia should read 0, but these are my readings:

Ammonia : 1
Nitrites: 5
NitrAtes: 40-80 (hard to tell)

Anyways, I will just let it sit, and test again tomorrow. Should I be feeding it a lil' ammonia daily still? that's my question I guess...?

during a fishless cycle you don't need to do pwcs as long as ammonia is less than 8. Also Once nitrites and ammonias are 0 you are done.

But is it normal to be seeing Ammonia levels while the Nitrites & Nitrates are rising? I thought the Ammonia should have been at 0 by now??

Ah.. Ok.. Nice.. I am only in my 4 day of Fishless :)
Had the Bacteria Kickstart of having tried the Cycling with fish for few weeks before doing this Fishless ...
So, from reading, I should be dropping some Ammonia daily just enough to keep feeding the bacterias, but not enough to get a reading?
Is that right?

Ok, dont do a pwc unless your ammonia gets super high, like 8... Otherwise you are defeating the purpose... How much ammonia are you adding daily? you need to get up closer to 3.5-4... the more ammonia you add (dont get over 4ppm), the bigger the bacteria colony youre going to have therefore having less of a chance of having a mini cycle or ammonia spike when adding fish...

Back
Top Bottom