Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Solarris

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am getting ready to start doing a fishless cycle on my new 55 gal aquarium. This is my first aquarium and I have a question about the filter. I have an emperor 400 filter and was wondering if I need to wait till after the cycle is complete to put in the filter cartridge with the carbon. I was worried that the carbon might remove the ammonia and keep it from cycling.

Another question I have about that filter is do I need to run the carbon all the time? I was thinking that I read somewhere that carbon is not needed all the time so I was thinking that maybe I should find some kind of filter medium for mechanical filtration to put in the inserts that came with the filter and run the carbon filled cartridges just occasionally. Please let me know if I am way off base with this, I would really hate to make any mistakes that could be avoided.

I dont run carbon in my HOB's at all unless I have had to medicate. Then I use the carbon to remove/neutralize the meds in the water. Since you are fishless cycling please read the very informative link written by another member of the site in my signature. I think you will find it very helpful. BTW, Welcome to AA!!

Thanks for the advice! What would you suggest I use in my filter in the place of the carbon filters? My filter is a biowheel but the only other filtration in it is the cartridge with both a sponge and carbon in one unit. There is however a couple of plastic inserts for you to put whatever filter material in there you want but they are thin and segmented so if I put something in there it would have to be kind of small. Or could I maybe drop something loose down in the compartment where the cartridges go, such as a sponge or other filter media?

I am not sure of the exact type that you have, but I have the ones that you fill the fiber with carbon then put it together and put it in the filter. I just leave the carbon out. In my canisters I just use fiber floss from joann's fabrics. You can pretty much put that anywhere in the filter that it wont get to the place where the impeller is. Or if the manufacturer sells filter media w/o carbon that would be an option.

ive heard really good things about something called seachem purgeon (idk if i spelled that right), and i dont know about other people on here, but i put some ammo-chips in my canisters on my 150g to prevent ammonia spikes. Ive heard mixed opinions on carbon as well, and agree with spoonman on the meds, but ive also heard its good if you get an odor in your water as well. you can buy cartridges for the emperor online, i saw some on ebay that you can run a course, medium, and fine floss in them instead of using the cartridges with carbon already in them, then just replace the floss as needed

Back
Top Bottom