Cycling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

S_Hurley

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok quick question... So can a water conditioner like Prime be used to replace cycling? It seems like after I use this conditioner my levels are fine?

S_Hurley said:
Ok quick question... So can a water conditioner like Prime be used to replace cycling? It seems like after I use this conditioner my levels are fine?
As far as I know it can't, It only temporarily reduces the levels and doesnt permanently reduce them. It's meant to neutralize ammonia and nitrite in tap water so it's not like a double dose and will rise the levels (if your doing a fish in cycle), especially if you already have existing ammonia and nitrites in your water you really don't want to add to it for the safety of your fish since with fish in cycles you want ammonia and nitrite to be .25ppm and under.

Prime can be used as a "band aid" to detoxify the nitrites in your water so it is not toxic to your fish. It wears off at about 24 hours.

S_Hurley said:

Prime won't 'replace' cycling. It simply helps to temporarily detox ammonia and nitrite if they are present and dechlorinates tap water. It won't eliminate the need for water changes in a fishin cycle but can be double or triple dosed in an emergency if a water change can't be performed. Water changes to actually remove toxins are the best thing.

jlk said:
Prime won't 'replace' cycling. It simply helps to temporarily detox ammonia and nitrite if they are present and dechlorinates tap water. It won't eliminate the need for water changes in a fishin cycle but can be double or triple dosed in an emergency if a water change can't be performed. Water changes to actually remove toxins are the best thing.

Ok thanks, so in kinda new to this bare with me. When I do a water change after my cycling do I just use two water?

Hello S...

Prime removes ammonia, chlorine and chloramines from the tap water. It won't do anything for the "cycling process". You want to grow the microscopic bugs that eat the nitrogens produced by the fish waste.

You could use Seachem's "Stability". The product will provide the good bacteria (bugs) needed. I've used it with hardy fish to cycle my first tank.

B

Ok thanks, so in kinda new to this bare with me. When I do a water change after my cycling do I just use two water?

I am not quite sure what your asking? When your tank has fully cycled, you need to dose water conditioner to your tank size before refilling when you do water changes. If using buckets, you can treat each bucket before putting it in the tank.

jlk said:
I am not quite sure what your asking? When your tank has fully cycled, you need to dose water conditioner to your tank size before refilling when you do water changes. If using buckets, you can treat each bucket before putting it in the tank.

I'm sorry do I use tap water ok but that answers my question thanks!

Back
Top Bottom