Cycling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jer1989

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my tank running for about 3 weeks. The tank had been out of service for 2-3 months when i picked it up. I used the old filters one being a dual bio-wheel and the other a canister. I did not replace the bio-wheels but put in new floss. I used the old filter media for the canister as well. From my reading, the bacteria cannot survive out of water for 2-3 months. I also purchased some Texas Holey Rock which was in the water up until I bought it, but was left in the car (out of water) overnight before putting it in my tank. Now for the measured levels which I did twice today. The Nitrite level is 2-5 PPM (the purple is hard to distinguish) and the Nitrate level is 5 ppm with the ammonia level at 0. I tested my tap water and both the Nitrite and Nitrate levels are 0. It tested the same levels a week ago. I haven't introduced any pure ammonia to start the cycle, but it appears to have started itself. Am I on my way or is something weird happening. Should I go ahead and introduce some pure ammonia. I believe I read it should be about 4 ppm. I do not have any fish in the tank. Please help a newbie out!

Thanks,

Jerry

Hi there,

There won't be any way to determine cycling without adding the pure ammonia. Adding that should definitely be your next step.

Ask questions, we can help!

Back
Top Bottom