Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2018, 10:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cycling question

I have a 10 gallon freshwater tank that has been up and running for a month. No fish, just feeding it a pinch of flakes every other day. Ammonia is 0 and nitrites are holding steady at 2.0-5.0 ppm for the past 3 days. Nitrates are slowwwwwly rising and have finally made it to 5.0 ppm. Temp 79, sand substrate, no live plants and hob with bio max and course sponge. Also some lava rock and small bag of peat moss.
I have a 65 gallon tank that has been up and running for 24 days with 1 zebra danio. Doing daily water changes (30-40%) to keep ammonia below .25 ppm but have not seen any nitrites or nitrates in this tank at all. Same decor setup as 10 gallon except 6 live plants in the 65 gallon. 2 aqueon quietflow 75ís with sponge and biomax. Temp steady at 79.
My question finally: Can I add substrate to the 65 gallon from the 10 gallon at this point being that the 10 gallon is not stable? Or should I just be patient? I feel like Iím splitting hairs with this question. Sorry
Thanks for any help. Iím brand new this

Old 08-04-2018, 02:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think either of your tanks are cycled so it wouldn't make sense to add to your 10 from your 65. You should run constant ammonia readings in your 10g to get that cycle going. Also, you should probably do a water change every other day on your 65 rather than every day IMO. Let the ammonia hit .25 if not .50 before a water change to get your cycle going.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:21 AM   #3

Thank you.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:39 AM   #4

1 zebra danio would not cycle a 60gal properly would it? Or would it?

I only learn by asking questions!!
Old 08-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It could. It's not just the fish poo it's also the food you are adding to the tank from daily feedings. Eventually it would accumulate and create ammonia. Personally, I'd add a school of 6 small fish in a tank that size for a cycle to speed things up. A lot of people aren't comfortable or they are worried about adding multiple fish in an uncycled tank.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:54 AM   #6

Ah k, anything learnt in this trade is worthwhile. I guess 1 fish at risk in an uncycled tank is better than lots of fish at risk.. It just requires patience.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:04 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Testing water regularly during a cycle helps gauge a lot of things IMO. During my fish in cycles I would buy 10 cent feeder guppies and use them. Now I generally do fishless cycles and use fish food. I also like the idea of using pure ammonia but have never tried it.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:41 PM   #8

Thank you guys for adding more info. It helps a lot. My dilemma now is we have to go out of town, unexpectedly, on Wed Aug 8th for 7-8 days. I was hoping the 10 gallon would speed it up 😄 so I could at least move this poor danio over to it before I leave town. But, Iím finding, these things wonít be rushed. I donít know anyone with a safe aquarium in which to beg substrate or filter media. All the stores close to me have bare bottom tanks except for one who Iím currently begging for a handful of substrate, but donít know if he will help or not. He is concerned about introducing some creeping crud into my aquariums since he buys fish back from the general public, which I understand. I am testing away on both tanks, more for practice than anything, and praying for a small miracle in the next 4 days or I fear the danio will have perished by the time I get back in town. Again, thanks for all the help and if anyone can think of anything else please share 🐠🐟🐠
Old 08-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Feed your danio twice a day up until your trip. Then clean your tank good and do a couple of large water changes the day before you leave. Your fish will be ok to go a week without food. If you aren't comfortable with that have someone come feed your fish...small amount...on day 3 or 4. Don't feed him again until you get back. This should keep the water quality from getting to bad if bad at all in a 65g before you get back.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:27 PM   #10

Ok. Thank you.

Tags
cycling, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com