Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelHeart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon freshwater tank that has been up and running for a month. No fish, just feeding it a pinch of flakes every other day. Ammonia is 0 and nitrites are holding steady at 2.0-5.0 ppm for the past 3 days. Nitrates are slowwwwwly rising and have finally made it to 5.0 ppm. Temp 79, sand substrate, no live plants and hob with bio max and course sponge. Also some lava rock and small bag of peat moss.
I have a 65 gallon tank that has been up and running for 24 days with 1 zebra danio. Doing daily water changes (30-40%) to keep ammonia below .25 ppm but have not seen any nitrites or nitrates in this tank at all. Same decor setup as 10 gallon except 6 live plants in the 65 gallon. 2 aqueon quietflow 75’s with sponge and biomax. Temp steady at 79.
My question finally: Can I add substrate to the 65 gallon from the 10 gallon at this point being that the 10 gallon is not stable? Or should I just be patient? I feel like I’m splitting hairs with this question. Sorry
Thanks for any help. I’m brand new this

I don't think either of your tanks are cycled so it wouldn't make sense to add to your 10 from your 65. You should run constant ammonia readings in your 10g to get that cycle going. Also, you should probably do a water change every other day on your 65 rather than every day IMO. Let the ammonia hit .25 if not .50 before a water change to get your cycle going.

1 zebra danio would not cycle a 60gal properly would it? Or would it?

I only learn by asking questions!!

It could. It's not just the fish poo it's also the food you are adding to the tank from daily feedings. Eventually it would accumulate and create ammonia. Personally, I'd add a school of 6 small fish in a tank that size for a cycle to speed things up. A lot of people aren't comfortable or they are worried about adding multiple fish in an uncycled tank.

Ah k, anything learnt in this trade is worthwhile. I guess 1 fish at risk in an uncycled tank is better than lots of fish at risk.. It just requires patience.

Testing water regularly during a cycle helps gauge a lot of things IMO. During my fish in cycles I would buy 10 cent feeder guppies and use them. Now I generally do fishless cycles and use fish food. I also like the idea of using pure ammonia but have never tried it.

Thank you guys for adding more info. It helps a lot. My dilemma now is we have to go out of town, unexpectedly, on Wed Aug 8th for 7-8 days. I was hoping the 10 gallon would speed it up ? so I could at least move this poor danio over to it before I leave town. But, I’m finding, these things won’t be rushed. I don’t know anyone with a safe aquarium in which to beg substrate or filter media. All the stores close to me have bare bottom tanks except for one who I’m currently begging for a handful of substrate, but don’t know if he will help or not. He is concerned about introducing some creeping crud into my aquariums since he buys fish back from the general public, which I understand. I am testing away on both tanks, more for practice than anything, and praying for a small miracle in the next 4 days or I fear the danio will have perished by the time I get back in town. Again, thanks for all the help and if anyone can think of anything else please share ???

Feed your danio twice a day up until your trip. Then clean your tank good and do a couple of large water changes the day before you leave. Your fish will be ok to go a week without food. If you aren't comfortable with that have someone come feed your fish...small amount...on day 3 or 4. Don't feed him again until you get back. This should keep the water quality from getting to bad if bad at all in a 65g before you get back.

King Fisher, You are the best!

Followed your instructions to the letter and after being out of town for 9 days, came home to find the danio happily swimming around. Gave her a few flakes and tested the water the next day. Ammo-0, Nit-0, Nitrate-5.0. Should I try and add a few more danios? I’m not trying to sacrifice danios, I really want them for my community tank ?. If I should wait tho I have no problem with that either. Thank you for any help

Awesome!! You could up it to a school of 6 danios. Just keep up on the water testing and water changes. I think you are close to being cycled if not already cycled.

Do I need to do anything today

65 gallon
Added 5 more Danios about a week ago for a total of 6. All seem happy and eating well. (Feeding a pinch of flakes alternated with daphnia daily)

My water tests for the 65 gallon for the past week with API kit are:
Temp 77.5 (today with no heaters installed yet)
Ammo-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-Trace
No water changes for the past 15 days.
——————————————————————————————

10 gallon
Temp steady at 78.4 (heater in tank)
No fish. Just adding few flakes daily.
Ammo-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates- 5.0-10.0
No water changes for 25 days

I have added a softball sized bag of lava rock TO the 65 gallon FROM the 10 gallon (Had been under the filter output in the 10 gal for about 3 weeks). Also added 2 cups of substrate FROM the 10 gallon TO the 65 gallon 5 days ago. Have added extra sponge filter media in the 10 gal that will be moved to the filters on the 65 gallon in the next few days. Hope I’m thinking in the right direction with some of this stuff ???? Experts, please share your insights and experiences.
Also posting a pic, so if you see anything strange please tell me. Thanks ?

2nd better photo possibly

Practicing with pics. Determined to get better at it

Attachments

• 06F63E00-3E38-425B-B91E-352972C1F767.jpg
    06F63E00-3E38-425B-B91E-352972C1F767.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom