cycling question/confirmations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I started up a 29 gallon tank that someone gave me recently. I'm using the Tetra Whisper 30 that came with it and I purchased a new Penguin BioWheel 350 that is running in it too. I figure I'm getting 480 gph.

I have been running this tank since last Thursday.

I added 5 drops of ammonia (from ACE Hardware) to it Friday and I placed an old filter in the Penguin 350 from another tank as well as a plastic plant from an established tank. I tested the ammonia on Saturday and it was around 1 ppm. I tested it yesterday and it was a little lower, closer to .5 ppm. I have not detected nitrites with my test kit but I have detected about 5 ppm nitrate.

I'm going to do a 30% PWC using tank water from my established tank tonight.

I've got some zebra danios on hand for cycling, but I wanted to see the ammonia go down some more before I put them in.

Is this a good course of action to take to "speed up" a cycle? :?:

Using filter media from an estabished tank in combo with dosing pure NH3 is always a good way to speed up a cycle. I used plants, gravel and spare sponge to cycle my 75 gal and was done in two weeks. :D

thanks JC

Thanks JC. How do the parameters look? My pH is 7.6-7.8. The temp is 80F.

I almost never detect nitrites with my test strips (Mardel). I think I may begin looking at another test method. Maybe my strip test is okay but I just thought after testing multiple tanks several times a week I'd at least get some kind of nitrite reading on one of the tanks.

Test strips are just not as reliable as the re-agent drops. If you can, get the AP kits...much more accurate.

The presence of 5ppm nitrate isn't uncommon...the test converts the nitrite to nitrate in order to give a result. Therefore, you do have nitrites, just not enough to register on the test.

it is hard to accurately monitor a cycle with the test strips due to accuracy. They just arent as good as a liquid reagent kit. Since a liquid reagent kit is about $14 online, its a good investment. You get many, many tests out of one. Cheaper than the test strips in the long run too.

Instead of taking tank water from the established tank, use a handful of gravel placed in a mesh bag in the tank or put in the filter. The water won't hold bacteria, but the gravel and filter media do.

ceramic media

I've got some ceramic media from an aquaclear that I keep in my disease-free-for-the-moment QT. The bag is suspended over a bubble curtain for aeration and circulation. I may stick that ceramic media bag in the big Penguin.

My QT stays stocked with otos and zebra danios so I should have some bacterial populations in that media.

My ammonia kit is a reagent kit but the rest is tested on a strip. I just got a new kit from the person that gave me the tank......

stepped it up

Well I stepped it up a notch on the bacteria for cycling my tank. I put in a plastic plant from an established tank and a mesh bag full of ceramic media that has been in my disease-free QT for 2 months. I put the bag of media in the big Penguin. On another note, I checked out the test kit I got with the free aquarium and it consists of only reagent tests. It has barely been used. :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom