Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cycling question, please help

I have a five gallon that I'm currently cycling. I'm adding ammonia and testing the water every day. I have been adding 9 drops of ammonia per day. As of today, the ammonia is 3-5ppm and the nitrite is around 3-5ppm also. Do I start adding 4 or 5 drops of ammonia now or do I keep adding 9? I'm a little confused, thanks.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:32 AM   #2

*Bump*

Old 09-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Not sure why you are adding ammonia when the tank needs to cycle and remove the ammonia ?
Old 09-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Continue dosing ammonia until you hit 4ppm. I always try to shoot for 4ppm, without fish in there (obviously). If your cycle is complete it will convert that ammonia rather quickly. Keep dosing until your ammonia and nitrites hit 0. After that, do a PWC and add your first batch of fish! You are on the right track, keep it up!

Hucklebuck, you dose ammonia to the tank to jump start the Nitrogen Cycle. Without adding any ammonia, or a food source, the bacteria in the tank have nothing to feed off of. No ammonia, no cycle. Period.

PS - I hope you aren't adding goldfish to this 5 gal tank!!!! I know you're a goldfish lover and all... LOL
Old 09-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #5

Thank you for your help. So just keep adding the 9 drops until everything goes down to zero? Lol, nope, no goldfish! I actually give up on goldfish. Haha I couldn't keep them alive in my 20 gal
Old 09-22-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks never new that,learned something new,house hold ammonia

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com