Cycling tank readings? 1st day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brox

Aquarium Advice Freak
I can't attach photos but my ammo and nitrite ratings were 0, my ph was dark blue so up in the 7s maybe? I tested for higher range ph and it was red so I think it's in the 7s for sure, my nitrate was yellow but looked a little darker yellow so would it be 5? And what should my nitrate reading be? I'm using seachem stability and prime along with some gravel (not much) and filter media (sank to the bottom of the tank) how long until I can add fish, I think my ph is and should be 7.0 and also is my nitrates 5 and what should they be.

Okay, a couple questions.
1) How are you cycling? Fish-in or Fishless?
2) What do you mean your media sank to the bottom of the tank, isn't it in a filter?
3) Since this is day 1 and you didn't add any seeded material, go ahead and test your tap water for nitrates. Also what kind of test kit are you using? A nitrate test is notoriously easy to mess up.

00youknowit00 said:
Okay, a couple questions.
1) How are you cycling? Fish-in or Fishless?
2) What do you mean your media sank to the bottom of the tank, isn't it in a filter?
3) Since this is day 1 and you didn't add any seeded material, go ahead and test your tap water for nitrates. Also what kind of test kit are you using? A nitrate test is notoriously easy to mess up.

1) fish less using stability
2) it's media from another tank That didn't have room ( and Isnt made to go in this filter) the one I'm using for my cycling tank is and AC 110
3) I'll do that now, API master test kit
Also my thermometer is a peel on the tank crap one and is blank lol? My thermometer on my heater is like 82

Then yeah, check your tap first. Also I personally wouldn't trust stability, or any bacteria in a bottle supplements.. I would cycle using pure ammonia, and dose to 4ppm.

Search for fishless cycling on here, I'm on the app and its hard to do links..

00youknowit00 said:
Then yeah, check your tap first. Also I personally wouldn't trust stability, or any bacteria in a bottle supplements.. I would cycle using pure ammonia, and dose to 4ppm.

Search for fishless cycling on here, I'm on the app and its hard to do links..

Ill try stability for a week , I thought adding BB to the tank by adding little gravel and the filter media, stability has good reviews and I thought adding it would be better than others, pure ammonia seems like it takes forever though.

Brox said:
Ill try stability for a week , I thought adding BB to the tank by adding little gravel and the filter media, stability has good reviews and I thought adding it would be better than others, pure ammonia seems like it takes forever though.

Well if you have seeded material it shouldn't. My understanding with bottled BB is that its prone to crashes, doesn't always have the right kind of BB, and most the time just doesn't work. I've never tried it myself though, so this is all just from what I've ”heard”.

We're should I get ammonia and what's the general price? I heard ace has it 10% ammonia 90% water

We're should I get ammonia and what's the general price? I heard ace has it 10% ammonia 90% water

Yep, ACE has the stuff you want. You can certainly try the Stability but the bacteria need ammonia to feed on otherwise they'll die off, so either add pure ammonia or 1 or 2 fish to start the cycle. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html Also it would be good if you can try attaching the seeded media to your filter intake tube.

Ok others may not agree but you maybe making this harder then it needs to be. If your using filter media and gravel from an established tank go ahead and add your fish slowly 3-4 at a time depending on the size but test you water daily and be ready for a water change or two. This is how I cycled all 15 of my tanks except the first with no loses I keep a canister stoged with media on my oldest tank 15+ years to insta cycle my others good luck and don't drive yourself crazy lol

ryan-peddle said:
Ok others may not agree but you maybe making this harder then it needs to be. If your using filter media and gravel from an established tank go ahead and add your fish slowly 3-4 at a time depending on the size but test you water daily and be ready for a water change or two. This is how I cycled all 15 of my tanks except the first with no loses I keep a canister stoged with media on my oldest tank 15+ years to insta cycle my others good luck and don't drive yourself crazy lol

It's not much gravel and only 1 sheet of old filter media

I got ammonia readings! .25 I believe I think the fish food did it I may buy fish soon I have pretty much a glass bottom so cleanings easy I suppose

Curious... What's your reason for a glass bottom? Just no substrate yet or the type of animal you plan to keep? I'm learnin' anything I can! ;)

TangoTank said:
Curious... What's your reason for a glass bottom? Just no substrate yet or the type of animal you plan to keep? I'm learnin' anything I can! ;)

No substrate I plan on getting Eco complete plant fertilizer for substrate but I'm a teen with no job and this stuff is $30 a pop so, I need 2.

Brox said:
No substrate I plan on getting Eco complete plant fertilizer for substrate but I'm a teen with no job and this stuff is $30 a pop so, I need 2.

No prob, I hear ya! I don't have "a job" either. I work when the work comes in (I'm a graphic designer & photographer) & since I don't actively pursue it, work is far & few between. HA!! I already set up my tank w/ gravel, THEN found this site! I want to plant my tank now too... Hate to chuck this gravel. If I hear of somebody local starting a tank, I'd love to pass it along, then I wouldn't feel so bad starting a new substrate. Good luck w/ your tank!!

TangoTank said:
No prob, I hear ya! I don't have "a job" either. I work when the work comes in (I'm a graphic designer & photographer) & since I don't actively pursue it, work is far & few between. HA!! I already set up my tank w/ gravel, THEN found this site! I want to plant my tank now too... Hate to chuck this gravel. If I hear of somebody local starting a tank, I'd love to pass it along, then I wouldn't feel so bad starting a new substrate. Good luck w/ your tank!!

You could probably keep it and put Eco complete on the bottom

Hey Guys!

I have been cycling my tank and I think I am almost done. I had nitrites showing at 0.1 about 5 days into the cycle. It has been 7 weeks. Finally nitrites went up to 3.3 about 13 days ago. I just checked and now:

Ammonia 0.6
ph 7.5
nitrites off the chart (over 3.3)
nitrates off the chart (over 110)

also because of evaporation, the tank is 3/4 full from when I first started the cycling. Should I add water at this phase. Should I still be adding ammonia?

i did not use any filter media from another tank. I think that is why the fishless cycling is slower?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I put danios in my tank. Ammonia .25 and nitrated 5.00 I think I'm cycled!

Brooklyn girl you should start a new thread and you are nowhere near cycled and Brox I don't if your cycled with still .25 ppm ammonia but good luck

Back
Top Bottom