Cycling Week 3 - Finally seeing Nitrites!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcedAngelKiss

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm on my 3rd week of my Fishless Cycle and I finally have Nitrites showing up! Very weak about .25 but it's about time ;)
So now what...Do I still keep my ammonia at 4 ppm?
I read where I need to add 1/2 of the ammonia I have been to the tank so does that mean keep the ammonia levels to 2?
My Ammonia is at 4ppm at the moment...
Thank You!

I kept my ammonia dosed daily to 4ppm when i did a fishless cycle on my big tank. You dont want all that good amm>nitrite bacteria dying off because its not getting fed! I expect you will be seeing a big nitrite spike very soon! Also, make sure you keep an eye on your ph-if it starts dropping (or in my case, going up), its time for a big pwc to restore the buffers. Good work!

You should keep dosing to 4. The lower you dose ammonia, that's the amount of bacteria that will grow and you want as much bacteria as you can. Nitrite showing in week 3 is actually right on schedule. :) So yes keep dosing ammonia every 24 hours; nitrites should spike soon. This phase can test your patience as it can be the longer of the phases so try to be patient. Also keep an eye on PH because it can drop suddenly which can disrupt the cycle.

Patience... Not sure if I like that lol but alrighty, so far it's steady at ammonia 4 nitrites .25 and nitrates 0, my pH is still between 7.4-7.6...
Is the ammonia level suppose to drop everyday? Cause its been going down to .5 and 1 then I bump it back to 4...I'm assuming this is a good sign but just making sure

Yeah, patience is the hard part here! The nitrite phase takes much longer than ammonia! And, yes, the ammonia should be dropping every day (once it starts dropping). You are right on track!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom