cycling with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hanssg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
evening all im doing a cycle with a few fish 4 leopard danios been in my tank now for five weeks. doing reguler water changes ammonia never gets more than 0.5 when am i likely to see nitrites and nitrates thanks in advance.

Should be happening any time now; in fact it should have happened already but every tank is different. What size tank do you have?

thanks for the reply librarygirl i posted this on the practicalfishkeeping forum and all i got was abuse sorry i forgot my tank is 63 litres with a few vals there doing ok in fact had to trim some asthey getting to big

HOw often are you doing water changes? How often does it take for ammonia to build up between water changes and how high does it get? Just .5 or does it get higher? Have you noticed any difference in how fast the ammonia is rising?

What's your PH? A low PH can stall the cycle so that could be a factor. Test it if you can and post it here.

ALso what test kit are you using?

Are you using dechlorinator with the water changes?

Sorry for the questions, just need more info to help.

a dish in cycle lol thanks mumma i think i am doing all the right things i keep a log of all my water tests and water changes.

librarygirl my ph is about 6.8 and iam using the api liquid test kits for ammonia and nitrite and the strips for nitrate and using interpet tapsafe dechlorinater

also doing water changes every 2 days my ammonia gets to 0.5 by then so i always do a water change.

hi again just an update ammonia 0.25-0-50 still doing 20% water changes still no nitrites fish seem happy enough .

hi librarygirl im using interpet bioactive tapsafe is that ok .

I think so, it says it removes chlorine and chloramines and heavy metals. I'm not sure what's going on though, you should be further along in cycling by now. Have you tested PH regularly; it's it holding at 6.8?

Can you test your tap water for pH too? Test it out of the tap and then let it sit for 24 hours and see what it says.

What temperature is the tank? Does it have sufficient oxygen exchange (either from an air stone or the water dropping into the tank from the filter)?

What size tank is it?

hi librarygirl my water temp is 25c 63 litre tank with an airstone my ph out of tap is fairly soft about 6 . 6.8 in tank.

Hm, so that looks pretty good, if the tank's ph is 6.8 that should be OK. If it's much lower than that the PH could be the issue but I think 6.8 should be all right. I've read thoutgh that a PH below 7 can inhibit the bacteria so I'm wondering if that's playing a part as well.

If you can get some cuttlebone (sold for birds at most pet stores) or crushed coral (sold in large bags at most fish stores in the saltwater section) and put a small piece of cuttle bone or a few pinches of coral into a mesh media bag or clean nylon stocking and put it in your filter it should helop buffer the water some and help raise PH a bit (not too high, so don't add too much, if you can get it to 7-7.2 that would be good).

Other thanthat I'm at a loss really, the cycle should be further along by now. Can you get any seeded filter media from an established tank? If not, angels plus sells active seeded sponge filters from their angelfish tanks. I've used them to help cycle my tanks and so have others. Perhaps you should try to get one and see if it helps; get one that says "active" next to it though or else you're just buying a plain filter.

Just in case, maybe try switching dechlorinators too, try getting Prime if you can.

fish in cycle

no not changed any filter media did a test on 3 feb tap water showing a trace of ammonia ph 6.4 out of tap goes up to about 6.8 in tank. just tested again 5 feb 0 to 0.25 ammonia but still no nitrites or nitrates god this is drawn out.

no not changed any filter media did a test on 3 feb tap water showing a trace of ammonia ph 6.4 out of tap goes up to about 6.8 in tank. just tested again 5 feb 0 to 0.25 ammonia but still no nitrites or nitrates god this is drawn out.

My only thought is that the PH is very low and could be hindering the process. As I mentioned above if you can get some crushed coral to add to your filter to help buffer the water a little and try to raise PH to 7-7.2 that should help. And seeded media should help speed things along too.

hi again guys explain this one then now have no ammonia been like that for a few days now got nitrates between 10-20 never ever had nitrites why is that

Back
Top Bottom