Cycling with fish food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AbbieM

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I wanted to know people's thoughts on cycling with fish food. I recently set up a 170L/45gal tropical planted tank and a 330L/90gal cold water tank for my goldfish which are currently stuck in an 80L/20gal with my Platys and mollies. In the past I have cycled with hardy fish but I've decided to do a fish less cycle in both my new tanks this time.
My 45 gallon tropical planted tank has been set up for about 3 weeks and I add a pinch of food twice a day. I have done any water changes because I'm worried removing the food with interrupt the cycle. After a couple of days it was showing 4ppm ammonia and within a week it was showing about 2ppm ammonia and 3ppm nitrite. It is now showing a constant 5ppm nitrite reading but no nitrates. Should I remove the food at the bottom? (there is a lot of rotting food). Should I do a water change? Should I put less food in there? How much longer should the cycle take?
My 330 gallon has been set up for about 2 weeks and is showing 0.25-0.5 ammonia but no nitrites yet. I put a large pinch of food in there twice a day but I can't get the ammonia is rise about 0.5. It has an aqua one maxi sponge filter but no actual biological filter. Should that matter? (I'm only planning on putting goldfish in it) Will it take longer because it's bigger? Should I remove the water and do water changes?

When I set up the tanks I put stress coat+ and stress zyme in it. (This is what I do when doing water changes in my other tanks)
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks :)

I wanted to know people's thoughts on cycling with fish food. I recently set up a 170L/45gal tropical planted tank and a 330L/90gal cold water tank for my goldfish which are currently stuck in an 80L/20gal with my Platys and mollies. In the past I have cycled with hardy fish but I've decided to do a fish less cycle in both my new tanks this time.
My 45 gallon tropical planted tank has been set up for about 3 weeks and I add a pinch of food twice a day. I have done any water changes because I'm worried removing the food with interrupt the cycle. After a couple of days it was showing 4ppm ammonia and within a week it was showing about 2ppm ammonia and 3ppm nitrite. It is now showing a constant 5ppm nitrite reading but no nitrates. Should I remove the food at the bottom? (there is a lot of rotting food). Should I do a water change? Should I put less food in there? How much longer should the cycle take?
My 330 gallon has been set up for about 2 weeks and is showing 0.25-0.5 ammonia but no nitrites yet. I put a large pinch of food in there twice a day but I can't get the ammonia is rise about 0.5. It has an aqua one maxi sponge filter but no actual biological filter. Should that matter? (I'm only planning on putting goldfish in it) Will it take longer because it's bigger? Should I remove the water and do water changes?

When I set up the tanks I put stress coat+ and stress zyme in it. (This is what I do when doing water changes in my other tanks)
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks :)

Smaller tanks typically cycle faster. Yes, remove the rotting food.
Do a water change. You can test the system by adding food and retesting the following day, 0 nh3/4, 0 no2 and whatever low number no3 = good to go.
Bigger tanks take much longer! Weeks to months to cycle.
Once ammonia and nitrate reach zero, it's done!

300 gallons would probably take at least 6 weeks or so?
Depending.
Also note, the tank walls and at least the first inch of substrate depth will play a major role in biological filtration, a good substrate bed is a key component of the tanks biological ability.

You can put the food in a mesh bag, makes it easier and keeps it tidy. Dry pellet food is good for this.

I used to use coat/zyme, but, proper acclimatisation and handling will really make these products unnecessary. I haven't used either for several years.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom