Cycling with fish in due to some poor advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My old RO system would put out TDS of 40 ppm. Nothing drastic but was present. Maybe an accumulation in the filters. Alkaline water where I'm at. I also have slightly elevated TDS from my hot water heater which I'm positive is from accumulation of hard water build up in the tank.

My water change is once weekly at 40-50%.

I’m willing to put money on it’s a mix of possible accumulated water and differences in the PH of water. How many stages were you running? From my understanding, our kitchen sinks use at least a 2 stage. Reefs benefit from only 4 stages and higher. I would have to check and make sure that is accurate still. Either way, the more the stages, the better the quality. I believe 6 is the highest.

Accumulated water would make some sense to me for sure, when I start mine up it will actually pull a TDS reading initially, and then it begins to decrease as it filters out. Eventually reaching zero.

If your new place has a hot water heater, test the TDS on straight cold water out of the tap. Then test it on hot water. Mine goes from 179 ppm on cold to 220 ppm on hot (out of the hot water heater).

I surely will! I have no reason to use it at the moment, however my buddy may be getting water from me soon. I’m curious myself, because I can’t deny the possibility of my TDS meter being faulty as well. But I am actually unclear as to how I can test if the meter is actually is accurate.

But I can see what turns hobbyist of to these units. The ratio of RODI water produced and waste water produced is pretty cringe worthy for a water bill. We’re talking to 1:2. So basically 3 gallons of total tap water is used just to create RODI water. I hope they are working on a more efficient way to utilize tap water.

You can always catch the excess water and water the lawn?

There are additional parts for the ro/di units which run through the waste water and get the amounts of waste water reduced, in the 6 stage maybe? I can't recall off the top of my head.

They also have the in line RO units that hook up to your filtration system on your tank although I don't know how well they work if you need a 6 stage RO filtration system to remove everything.

Here is one with the options for the what they call the water saver option.

If you scroll to the end it discusses each filter and stage /what it does and at the very end it tells the options available with the water save option.

Every extra thing adds up.

You can test the TDS meter with distilled water and see how good it is both the distilled water and the meter. But mentioned in this article be Hanna they are not ideal in accuracy for testing pure water and they recommend a pure water tester and of course they have a link for them to check them out. I just learned there is such a thing. How great to learn more every day!

At $60.00 it would need to be for a very important or expensive tank or a business venture in my opinion.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/5-stage-premium-plus-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html
Does your TDS Meter Measure Up?

Back
Top Bottom