Cycling with Fish Levels All over the Place - Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wardcarrie5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75g freshwater tank
-2 Silver Dollars
-2 Pearl Gouramis
-1 Yellow Gouramis
-2 Dwarf Gouramis
-1 Red Tail Shark

I started the tank the beginning of October 2011 with fish after 2nd week. Had an ammonia bloom and have been changing water every other day 40-75% changes. Last week, my ammonia went to 0 and nitrites were high but thought my cycle was finally moving. Changed water again and nitrites went down significantly (as expected). Two days later my Ammonia and Nitrites are really high 2.0 and over. I have been using Prime and Stress Zyme to protect the fish, I'm also using Mexafil because I have tail rot on one of the fish and a fungus on tail of silver dollar. I keep doing water changes but nothing is happening. I have also put Ammo Chips in Filter (I have three, bio filter 90g, Canister Filter 70g, and a 30g filter). I have only washed the filters in tank water (on days that I haven't changed water and only one time for each filter and that was about 3 weeks ago). I have vaccuumed that gravel over and over but don't know what the deal is...help.

Welcome to the forum

First and foremost, do not use ammo chips. This will mess up your tank big-time.

Do not rinse out your filters. Filters should only be rinsed well after your tank is established and only to get the gunk off. They should only be replaced when they are falling apart. Carbon is the only filter media that does require changing out every 30 days (you can also choose not to use carbon at all).

I think the problem lies between overcleaning a cycling tank and using ammo chips.

Continue to do your water changes, since you have fish. The symptoms you are seeing on your fish is a result of their toxic enviromment.

What are your readings today for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and what test kit are you using?

This might help: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Back
Top Bottom