Danio Only Using 1 Fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juster

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10gal tank that has been up for 2 months. I have a blue ram, SAE, 2 ghost shrimp and 2 danios. I noticed last night that one danio is only using 1 pectoral fin when swimming. The other fin looks fine but he is not using it. He is therefore having some trouble swimming and staying totally upright. Is there anything I can do?

Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10ppm
PH 7.2
Temp 75F

I looked around on some disease websites, but I didn't find anything about fin "paralysis". Is it possible that the fin is injured? Are any tankmates aggressive toward him, or chasing him, since he can't swim well? If so, put him in a QT tank if you can. He may recover on his own if he can rest without being stressed by the others. Continue to observe him and see if he starts to use the fin. Post back if the fin gets white or fuzzy -- this could possibly be a secondary infection related to an injury.

I do not think the fin is injured. It looks normal. nobody seems to bother him anymore the before. The danios have always played their own game of tag since I got them. I just feed them and he is not eating now either. I hope he can pull through but I am starting to have my doubts.

I wonder if there's a tumor or benign cyst preventing the use of the fin. Unfortunately, not much you can do in either case. If the danio 's movement is so impaired that it can't eat, you might consider euthanizing it. Otherwise, I would just keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom