Dawrf gourami only fish,or get fish friends?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lucy3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started a new planted tank a little over a week ago with a dawrf gourami. As of now he is the only fish,im wondering if he would be happier alone or with some friends,and what tank mates are best.its a 10gallon tank.

I don't know about your Gourami, but you would probably like a small school of tetras to add more color and movement to your tank. There are so many tetra varieties to choose from, just research to find the type you like.

I've had 2 gouramis and they both were very docile and could keep them with other fish so I think it really depends on the gourami I would start him out with a few neon tetras see how he does then go from there also by adding only a few fish at a time your not over loading the bio load and allowing your tank to slowly build up more good bacteria to combat all the new fish

Lucy
Keep a check on your water quality if its only been setup for a week, it could still be cycling. Are you running co2 and adding plant ferts etc? Dont rush in putting fish in, give it chance to settle down a bit first. Ph and amonia etc

Im not rushing putting fish in,just getting ideas probably be another week or two till i add any more fish,i have air pump heater and filter,no plant ferts dont think i really need them my plants seem fine,and im pretty sure my tank is fully cycled as of today,but plan to keep an eye on it for awhile still

The only thing i added was declorinater and safe start

Yeah i like the neons,i kinda like mollies too but i know they can be bullies sometimes and my fish seems pretty docile

Idk about black mollies are calmer,my aunt put one in the 75 gallon planted tank that i had that i gave her and it was always attacking and killing or eatting the other fish would even bully the goldfish that was like 3x its size

Thats actually where i know mollies can be bullies came from the white one she had minded it own business though,so maybe along the line of every fish is different

I get black mollies sometimes for hair algae...never had them attack anything. Tried orange ones and they did.

I've had 2 gouramis and they both were very docile and could keep them with other fish so I think it really depends on the gourami I would start him out with a few neon tetras see how he does then go from there also by adding only a few fish at a time your not over loading the bio load and allowing your tank to slowly build up more good bacteria to combat all the new fish
I think i will take your advice and put some neons in and see how he reacts then go from there,thanks?

We have a beautiful male dwarf blue flame gourami in our 37 gal. tank. I have never seen him attack another fish but he is a bit of a bully darting after our orange platys and the male honey gourami. He leaves our panda cories, zebra danios, and female guppies alone.

Update-got a bristle nose,(3 dalmation mollies,they were all sick with parasites when i got them the females were to far gone but the male survived and is doing better now)replaced the females mollies that didnt make it with two sailfin and one lyretail females,and and african clawed frog,and moved them to a 55 gallon.the gourami was bullying my male mollie but is leaving him alone and working on a bubble nest now that i added the female mollies,looking for a girl of his own i guess lol

Turned my 10 gallon into a quarentine tank when i bought the sick mollies trying to save them,about to turn it into a fry tank,cuz im done adding fish now,and the male dalmation and my sailfins have already mated,so exicted waiting to see my little hybrid babies?

Back
Top Bottom