Day 10 and my cycle is doing...nothing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankinWithUs

Aquarium Advice Freak
We have a 5.5 gallon tank that we are fishless cycling. We have 3 small plants. The Java Fern is growing :)

We bought ammonia from the dollar store and the only ingredient is ammonia hydroxide.

When we tested the tank this morning, these were the levels:

ammonia 4.0
nitrite 0
pH 8.2

I didn't bother to test nitrates.

The last time I dosed ammonia was 4 days ago. Before that, it was coming down...or at least, I thought it was.

What gives?

Hmm...

Put a flake or two of fish food into the tank. Maybe that will help the bacteria colony...

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'll give that a go...i haven't tried that yet.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Should I just wait a little longer? It is starting to get a tiny bit cloudy like before...maybe it will start dropping?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm still cycling my first tank myself, a 10gal, but I can say at least with my tank it took until the 5th day for there to be any change in the ammonia levels. Sometimes it just takes awhile from what I gather.

Did you use a source of bacteria like a used filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sometimes too much of something can stall it. You might want to do a water change then dose up to like 2ppm ammonia just to see what it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was thinking that, too, Angela! Maybe I was getting too ammonia happy. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow morning. If it still won't budge, I might just do a teeny water change. Maybe :)

The good news is my plants seem to be loving it because they are growing. I'm worried they are growing brown algae, too, but I'm not 100% sure what that looks like or what I could do for them.

I am so frustrated. Day 11. I have this white dust looking stuff floating around in the tank and setting on the leaves of the plants. I have no clue what it is. I did a 10% water change and thought it would be a good time to test the water. I tested first from the water i siphoned into the bucket. 4ppm ammonia, 0.50ppm nitrite. I was so excited to see nitrite...

But when I tested the tank...I had 4ppm ammonia, 0 nitrite.

Wtf?

Should I just start over??

Back
Top Bottom