Day 27 fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StarterFisherman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ammonia .25 ppm
PH 7.8
NitrIte higher than 5.0 ppm
NitrAte 5.0 ppm

Should I wait until ammonia is zero before doing 90% water change?if not when? If not 90%, how much?

Wait till it is 0. Then dose ammonia up to 1 or 2 ppm again and wait till it hits 0 1 more time. You also need to wait until your nitrite is down to 0 as well. When the tank is cycled, you will have 0 ppm NH4 and NO2, and detectable NO3.

fort384 said:
Wait till it is 0. Then dose ammonia up to 1 or 2 ppm again and wait till it hits 0 1 more time. You also need to wait until your nitrite is down to 0 as well. When the tank is cycled, you will have 0 ppm NH4 and NO2, and detectable NO3.

So when it hits 0ppm again for the 2nd time, is that when I do a water change? 90% right? (It's a 10 gallon tank)

Your nitrite and ammonia need to hit zero after a couple of ammonia doses. Then a big PWC and you are ready to go. 90% is fine.

Yep as Fort said you need to wait until your nitrite drops to 0. AMmonia should be 0 as well; what test kit are you using? Strips aren't very accurate and for the API Liquid test it can be hard to discern between 0 and .25; you can test some distilled or spring water and compare it to the tank's test and see if they match. Also how long have nitrites been 5+? Prolonged high nitrites can stall the cycle as well so if they've been that high for a while (over a week) you might want to do a large water change (it might take more than one) to get nitrites to a readable level on the chart, redose ammonia and go from there.

librarygirl said:
Yep as Fort said you need to wait until your nitrite drops to 0. AMmonia should be 0 as well; what test kit are you using? Strips aren't very accurate and for the API Liquid test it can be hard to discern between 0 and .25; you can test some distilled or spring water and compare it to the tank's test and see if they match. Also how long have nitrites been 5+? Prolonged high nitrites can stall the cycle as well so if they've been that high for a while (over a week) you might want to do a large water change (it might take more than one) to get nitrites to a readable level on the chart, redose ammonia and go from there.

I am using the APi master kit
I just started testing the nitrItes a few days ago

Can I/Should do a 90% water change tonight? Then test in 24hrs. Redose the ammonia (I use 2ml to get to 4ppm when I started), then retest a couple of hours after that and see where I'm at?

Yesterday I did a 90% water change

I just tested the water
Ammonia 0ppm
PH 7.6
NitrIte 0.25ppm
NitAte 5.0 ppm

did you dose the ammonia back up to 2ppm last night after the water change?

fort384 said:
did you dose the ammonia back up to 2ppm last night after the water change?

No. I thought I was supposed to wait 24 hrs. :)

I will dose now. 2 or 4 ppm?

Back
Top Bottom