Day 27 Fishless Cycle, Where are the Nitrites??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ruth87 said:
when ifirst asked in the pets at home about it they looked totally confused like i was speaking a foreign language but she got some one who did know a bit n she was trying to talk me into not doing it n then ws trying to tell me to just start it off fishless n then add mollies of platties

Yep, all those "hardy" $1.99 fish add up pretty quickly for their bottom line. I don't know when people stopped viewing fish as living animals. It's sad.

yeh tahts why i went for fishless cycling i actually found it sad when they died (before the advice) and explaining to a small child what has happened to the fishy wasnt nice (told her they'd gone on their hols). If you were buying a dog they wudnt lie bout what it needed dunno why they do with fish

so for my size tank 28L is there any ideas on what type of air stone or pump to use? i really am a newbie but willing to learn

Ruth87 said:
so for my size tank 28L is there any ideas on what type of air stone or pump to use? i really am a newbie but willing to learn

They sell air pumps for different size tanks. You wouldn't need a very big one. Which type of air stone is up to you and what you think looks nice. They sell them large, small, in bubble wands, etc... I don't like bubble wands because it seems part of it always clogs and it loses the effect of a solid wall.

ok dokie well gonna check my water levels in the hopes of that nitrite appearing will let you know the progress, really thanks for all this help :)

Ruth87 said:
ok dokie well gonna check my water levels in the hopes of that nitrite appearing will let you know the progress, really thanks for all this help :)

Glad to help out. Keep us posted!

hmmmm i hate this sumtimes, between 1-2ppm amm and 0ppm nitrites and nitrates def taking a sample to the pet shop at the weekend

1Pmm Amm and still 0 Nitrites or nitrates. Going to shop tomorrow to get a secondary test done

Well all i can say is I am not trying to speak to ANYONE in a pet shop again! they were horrible to me basically told me i was doing it all wrong by going fishless n that nitrites or nitrates wont show cos i dont have any fish. she acutally said and why are you doing it fishless n gave me the look of u idiot they kept asking well how have you got ammonia if no fish must have told them 3 times i was adding it cos its a fishless cycle! they tested my water n it read the same as mine however they did the nitrate test totally wrong no shaking of the testing solution at all so i cant guarantee the accuracy. what a morning....

Sorry amazing the state of customer service in this world. I guess they don't need you to spend your money in their store.

not much I can do no other shops with a decent stock but they're attitute stunk gonn alie next time when its cycled will tell them I've had it running a year

ne way I know have change my fitting on my filter so that it has an output pipe with loads of outlets pointed slightly upwards so it creates alot more surface movement and added a small air pump with a bubble disc which boths looks very pretty and adds alot of movement and pretty bubbles. gonna test again on monday :)

Where in the UK are you? there are some cracking Aquatic stores near where I am in County Durham ...

Some really care about the fish and won't sell you fish unless you take a water sample in for testing first

in North west. only a Pets at home near us. Got all my bubles running now looks fabby

ne way I know have change my fitting on my filter so that it has an output pipe with loads of outlets pointed slightly upwards so it creates alot more surface movement and added a small air pump with a bubble disc which boths looks very pretty and adds alot of movement and pretty bubbles. gonna test again on monday :)

Good luck! I'm on day 21 of fishless and no nitrates or nitrites at all (added to that a month of fish in the tank prior to the fishless cycle, due to the ignorance of the PetSmart employees here. Regardless of diligent water testing and changes all 4 fish died within 24 hours after 3-4 weeks so now I'm going fishless. Didn't have 'trates or 'trites with the fish in there either). I have an air stone cranked up, heat up, tank covered with a blanket, lights off, etc, and no nitrates or nitrites yet. It's so frustrating. A few days ago I ordered a seeded ("active") sponge filter from here: Sponge Filters for aquariums I should be getting it today. Hopefully it'll work because I"m running out of patience at this point lol Good luck!

OOo its good to hear sum1 else not havite trites or trates at a similar time to myself, i think it was the oxygen that might have been casusing problems hoping that the next test will show something. Good luck to you too!

I too am playing the waiting game! Trying to stay positive! Keep telling myself it'll be worth it in the long run!

Back
Top Bottom