Day 67 of fishless cycle...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Videonut85 said:
I never used it in the first place, as it seemed to be for when you put the fish in the tank based on the description. I did a partial water change (about 10% 2 days ago.) The last water change before that was 3 weeks ago I did a 75 to 80% water change.

I'd definitely do a water change and add the conditioner to the tank. Your beneficial bacteria are colonizing...but something is inhibiting them from doing it quickly. The fact your no2 and no3 keeps climbing indicates there's plenty of nitrifying bacteria in the tank.

When you do the pwc, dose the water conditioner based off the entire volume of the tank...not just what you're replacing.

I'd definitely do a water change and add the conditioner to the tank. Your beneficial bacteria are colonizing...but something is inhibiting them from doing it quickly. The fact your no2 and no3 keeps climbing indicates there's plenty of nitrifying bacteria in the tank.

When you do the pwc, dose the water conditioner based off the entire volume of the tank...not just what you're replacing.

Water change done, added conditioner at the bottles recommended dosage. I'll do a water test after I'm finished with lunch here and report back with numbers.

Fingers crossed, hope this works.

Me too!
I did a 60% water change.

Here are the readings:

Ammonia: 1.25
Nitrite: 0.5 (This seems too low...)
Nitrate: Looks the same? 40-80?

Ok... that's odd. I tested nitrates a little while ago out of the tap and they were coming up as around 10 ppm. Now I just tested my tap water and they're coming up as the same 40-80 (stop sign red)

Wonder if it's coming from fertilizers the farmer is using on his field. (I live close to a farm)

Videonut85 said:
Me too!
I did a 60% water change.

Here are the readings:

Ammonia: 1.25
Nitrite: 0.5 (This seems too low...)
Nitrate: Looks the same? 40-80?

Ok... that's odd. I tested nitrates a little while ago out of the tap and they were coming up as around 10 ppm. Now I just tested my tap water and they're coming up as the same 40-80 (stop sign red)

Wonder if it's coming from fertilizers the farmer is using on his field. (I live close to a farm)

Yep, well water can constantly change. You're definitely having some fluctuations. That's one of the reasons I believe using a quality water conditioner is going to make a substantial difference for you.

I'd dose the ammo back up to 4ppm and see what happens in the next week now that you've got a dechlorinator in there.

One thing you may want / need to consider down the road is having a fairly heavily planted tank. Plants will consume the nitrAtes and keep them lower. It's obviously going to be an issue in the future if the fish require around 20 or below in nitrAtes...and water changes are going to make them go up instead of down. I'd start looking at your lighting and researching fast growing plants like Anacharis which will consume the no3 the fish and tap water will be adding.

It might not be a bad idea to start looking into RO drinking water systems for yourself as well.

Yep, well water can constantly change. You're definitely having some fluctuations. That's one of the reasons I believe using a quality water conditioner is going to make a substantial difference for you.

I'd dose the ammo back up to 4ppm and see what happens in the next week now that you've got a dechlorinator in there.

One thing you may want / need to consider down the road is having a fairly heavily planted tank. Plants will consume the nitrAtes and keep them lower. It's obviously going to be an issue in the future if the fish require around 20 or below in nitrAtes...and water changes are going to make them go up instead of down. I'd start looking at your lighting and researching fast growing plants like Anacharis which will consume the no3 the fish and tap water will be adding.

It might not be a bad idea to start looking into RO drinking water systems for yourself as well.

Yes... just did a google search. This is definitely concerning. I think a fish tank is less worrying than the water I've been drinking.

Videonut85 said:
Yes... just did a google search. This is definitely concerning. I think a fish tank is less worrying than the water I've been drinking.

I actually run a residential and commercial water purification company (don't worry, I won't try to sell you anything, lol). There are some quality reverse osmosis drinking water systems out there which can do some good. You can also have the city / county come out and perform some tests for you in most cases.

I'm reasonably familiar with the other companies out there...so feel free to shoot me any PM's if you start looking into units and have some questions. Just like with the LFS...don't listen to the water companies sales reps either, lol.

I actually run a residential and commercial water purification company (don't worry, I won't try to sell you anything, lol). There are some quality reverse osmosis drinking water systems out there which can do some good. You can also have the city / county come out and perform some tests for you in most cases.

I'm reasonably familiar with the other companies out there...so feel free to shoot me any PM's if you start looking into units and have some questions. Just like with the LFS...don't listen to the water companies sales reps either, lol.

Yeah, or I'll need the most expensive of everything they've got. So where do you recommend starting this process of finding more out about my drinking water. Contact the county office and inquire there? Of course I'm seeing ads online for water testing now.

Videonut85 said:
Yeah, or I'll need the most expensive of everything they've got. So where do you recommend starting this process of finding more out about my drinking water. Contact the county office and inquire there? Of course I'm seeing ads online for water testing now.

You can start by calling the county and seeing if they offer it. Possibly start with the Health Dept? Otherwise there's private labs that can test, but they charge you.

Most of the water companies are initially going to try and sell you a whole house system that will basically soften the water and absorb some chems, taste and odor. Ours are quite a bit fancier, take out a lot more stuff and are more efficient, but they run like 6 G's. Really a WQA and NSF certified reverse osmosis drinking water system is the most important. Try to ask what the micron reduction is, and what they claim to be able to remove.

I wouldn't worry too much until you get things checked out...but it's worth looking into. The deeper the well the better when it comes to things like being near farm land or anything else for that matter.

what type of media are you using in your filter? im just guessing here. could that be stalling the cycle?

Unless there's some type of ammonia removing media like Ammo-Carb, I can't picture media being an issue. Carbon will compete for some of the ammonia and trace elements...but not enough to be causing this situation IMO. Good thought though :)

The only things in my filter are the filter foam and 2 BioMax Bags.

I ordered a well water test kit online to test for all sorts of stuff like copper, iron, lead, pesticides, bacteria, etc. Maybe there is something else going on here that isn't so apparent.

65 days wow, I cycle my tanks usually in 8-10days, 2 weeks tops, using fish only.

Good news everyone!

I nearly gave up, so I decided to try some kind of additive starting bacteria. I added Tetra Safe Start and my ammonia went from 3-4 ppm to .5 ppm in 24 hours. I checked about 8 hours later and the ammonia was gone, nitrites were never readable, and the nitrates were up a bit from their starting level. I dosed in some more ammonia and again, the ammonia was gone very quickly. Last week I got a dwarf gourami and a platy. They were in for a week without any signs of ammonia or nitrites rising, just nitrates very slowly. So this past Saturday I added 4 cory to the tank. Yesterday, the ammonia snuck up to a level that was just barely readable over 0. Maybe it's .1 or .05, but still very low. Water seems to have cycled with the Tetra Safe Start. I'm keeping an eye on the water and I won't add any more fish until I'm sure the water is completely safe, but at this point it seems great. Is it possible my tank wouldn't cycle because the bacteria were never present in the water in the first place, therefore they couldn't start reproducing to consume the ammonia?

HI Videonut85

Did you dose up to the amount of water in tank or just pour loads of safe start in? just wondering as I also have tried fishless cycling and my ammonia is very slow moving and currently about 2ppm and just thinking should I put more than what they suggest in because ammonia levels are higher than the situation they describe for (new fresh clean water with new fish just put in)?

Thanks

Is it possible my tank wouldn't cycle because the bacteria were never present in the water in the first place, therefore they couldn't start reproducing to consume the ammonia?

No, nitrifying bacteria is everywhere, it just takes time for them to establish a colony capable of processing the toxin level in a closed ecosystem like an aquarium. Adding Safestart (not just any bacteria product, but one that actually has the correct bacteria) speeds this process by inoculating the tank with a large supply, so the time spent colony building is drastically shortened.

Back
Top Bottom